New Gradebook: What happens when one weighted total assignment group has only unpublished assignments in it?

Jump to solution
wboswell
Community Participant

Hi,

I have a faculty who has a course that seems to be showing final grades as show unsubmitted assignments as 0, but that option is not selected. I'm wondering if it has to do with one of the assignment weighted groups, which has only unpublished assignments in it. Would this be affecting the final grade in any way? 

Thank you!

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Whitney,

I can't say for sure, but typically if an assignment group has no grades in it (as would also be the case if all the assignments are unpublished), that assignment group is ignored when calculating the overall grade.  For example, if Assignment Group 1 is weighted at 25%, Assignment Group 2 is weighted at 25%, and Assignment Group 3 has not grades and is weighted at 50%, essentially Assignment Groups 1 and 2 will both effectively be weighted at 50% each since Assignment Group 3 is ignored.  Once some grades are added within Assignment Group 3, then those will figure in to the calculations.

So, I don't know if that helps you figure things out or not, but might help explain what I think happens with empty grades (they are ignored) and Assignment Groups which have unpublished assignments.

Rick

View solution in original post