New Quizzes- Question groups

Jump to solution
jwalker10
Community Member

How do I make question groups in New quizzes?  All of the walk throughs I'm finding are explaining how to do it under the old quiz format.  Thanks for your help!

2 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @jwalker10 

First and foremost, there is a Canvas Instructor Guide chapter for New Quizzes, and that should help you in the future.

And more specifically, this guide in that chapter will answer your question: How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in New Quizzes?

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

MBStone
Community Participant

LWNelson, 

I was struggling with this same question and was frustrated at the lack of clear answers.  I hope this is helpful.  

I'm going to assume that you want to create and use question groups like I did in "classic quizzes" where I could create 10 different questions on each type but only "x" amount of questions were randomly selected for each student.  If this isn't what you are trying to do, then disregard my answer.  

I loved this feature because...
1) It helped prevent students from cheating.  
2) It allowed me and students the ability to retake the test a few times and I was confident they actually KNEW the material.  

Here's how to make it work in NEW QUIZZES.  

They are no longer called question groups and you can't create them directly inside of "QUIZZES"  

STEPS

1) Open a new Quiz

2) Go into "BUILD" 

3) In the top right corner there will be 3 dots.  Click it.  

4) Select "Manage Item Banks"

5) Select "+BANK" it's a blue button in the top corner.  

6) Add your questions into one bank for what would have been a question group in classic quizzes.  

7) Create as many question banks as you'd like.  

😎 RETURN to new quizzes

9) Select "Item Bank"

10) Click the blue "+" to add that bank of questions.  

You can now set the number of points for each type of question, how many questions will be selected from the bank etc.  

I hope this helps you.  

View solution in original post