New Quizzes: Stopping the Random Order of Dropdown Question Options

Jump to solution
aaron_ayres
Community Explorer

I recently migrated a quiz created with the current version of Quizzes in Canvas with New Quizzes.  Some of the questions on the quiz were multiple drop-down questions with multiple options for each drop-down entry.  After some necessary reformatting I previewed the quiz in New Quizzes and to my amazement the options for the drop-down questions were presented in random order, even though I needed the options in the order I have the choices listed in Build section.  Is there a way to stop the randomizing of these options for these questions?

Thanks!

1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @aaron_ayres and thanks for posting in the Community!

It seems we are looking into the ordering of answers in the multiple drop-down questions with multiple options for each drop-down entry, and seeing the options randomized in that list. When testing this with the same steps you were, I am not seeing my drop down lists randomized when migrated. I created a Classic Quiz and created a Multiple Drop Down question with ordered answers for those drop down menus. Then migrated to New Quizzes.

In my tests, my answers in my drop down menus were not reordered, so it seems the function should retain the order of the answers when migrating from Classic to New Quizzes. If you are seeing something otherwise, we would want to look at trying the migrate option again to see if they come across in the correct order.

If the order is not being retained this is something you could reach out to Canvas Support about and they would be glad to help make sure your questions answers are being ordered how you would like. 

View solution in original post