cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer III

New Quizzes Video Captioning

Hi, we are not seeing a way to add captions to video embedded in New Quizzes questions, or Studio as an option in its content editor toolbar.  Is this being addressed?

339408_Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.17.28 PM.png

--

339409_Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.21.16 PM.png

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu, I'm not sure about the new quizzes part of this, but for Studio, can't you add captions from the "Studio" area of the course? Do these captions not show up when viewing the video in new quizzes?

Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes.  Studio works great.  The issue is with New Quizzes.  We dont see the ability to caption video embedded in New Quizzes questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Even from the "Studio" area of the course? That's super strange and I'd definitely report this to Canvas Support! Please let us know what you find out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You're missing it.  The issue is with NEW QUIZZES.  Try to embed video in a New Quizzes quiz question, with the tools provided, and let us know if you were able to add closed captions.

Highlighted

JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu, I'll admit I'm not super familiar with new quizzes, but when I went in to add a video to a question, I didn't see how to directly add a video from Studio. So... I went to a quiz in Studio, got the embed code, went back to new quizzes, added a question, clicked the insert/embed media icon (film strip), clicked on the embed tab, added the embed code from Studio, then saved. When I viewed the question I was able to see captions just fine. 

Is this not what you are experiencing or is this not what you were trying to do?

Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HA!  Ok, all of that's disclosed in the user guides for faculty to learn from? And you're how confident your average sociology & history professor is comfortable approaching html on their own?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu, I haven't even turned on new quizzes for my faculty because I'm waiting for amazing people like yourself to work the bugs out of the system first. 🙂

As to your specific comment, no, understanding of html wasn't required in what I did. It was just knowing where to look and how to copy and paste. Yet, it's definitely not intuitive and much more work-around'ish. If I needed my faculty to do this, I'd need to do a quick video and handout showing what needed to be done to make it work.  

Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu, the instructions for embedding video are in the Insert Media section of How do I use the Rich Content Editor in New Quizzes?  If you don't feel the lesson is sufficiently detailed for faculty, please comment directly under the lesson itself with suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I think it's the combo of the new quizzes RCE and Studio that makes it confusing. I have to admit I scratched my head a little before figuring out how to make it work because it's not the way the RCE works inside the rest of Canvas.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels