cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atatlilioglu
Surveyor

New Reassign Tool - How does it effect grades?

I'm loving the new reassign tool, and I understand that the due dates don't change, but I have a couple of technical questions. 

• If you graded the assignment, re-assigned it, and a student does not re-submit, does the original grade remain in the gradebook?
  • Does it differ at all from allowing multiple attempts (other than placing it back in their dashboard list)?
  • Does it also place the assignment back in their To-Do list and calendar?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @atatlilioglu ...

I can offer my thoughts on your second and third bullet points...

• Does it differ at all from allowing multiple attempts (other than placing it back in their dashboard list)?
  • Does it also place the assignment back in their To-Do list and calendar?
    • The answer to this question is covered in this Guide: How do I use SpeedGrader? - Canvas Community.  Take a look at the section about 3/4 the way down the page called "View Reassign Assignment".  Just above the bulleted "Notes" section, the last sentence in the paragraph states, "Students will see a to do item in their list view dashboard to resubmit the assignment."  I am not sure about being able to see it again in the Calendar, however.

I hope this will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good questions! I've been doing some digging into this today and here's what I've found.

#1 - Yes, the grade remains until/unless you enter a new/updated grade.

#2 - I don't personally see a difference other than yes, it adds it back to their "To Do" list - both on the card and list view. Yet, I've been doing some research into this and it seems that if the due date has already passed, then it does NOT show up in the To Do list. I'm checking on this with Canvas people to see if this is intended or not.  I just checked and as of this morning (4/19/21) it does seem to be working as intended. 

#3 - If it is before the due date, then It puts it back on the student's "To Do" list on card view and list view. So yes, it is pretty obvious. On the Calendar, it still shows that the assignment has been completed; so there is a line through the assignment and there is no indication that the student needs to resubmit the assignment. On the student's grade page, it also does not show that the student needs to resubmit the assignment. It just shows as if the assignment has been graded. YET, per #2, if the due date has already passed, then it does not show up anywhere as needing to be redone.

Hope this helps! Kona

Edited on 4/19/21 based on updated testing.