cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mliebman
Surveyor

New Rich Content Editor?

Jump to solution

Our institution is not using the New Rich Content Editor.  What will happen to content pages we've created with the version when we switch to the new? Will the pages lose their formatting?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mliebman ‌

Not to worry! Page design will not change one bit. (Since both are enabled in my account, I switch between the old and new RCEs all the time.)

View solution in original post

16 Replies
mliebman
Surveyor

content pages we've created with the *old version

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mliebman ‌

Not to worry! Page design will not change one bit. (Since both are enabled in my account, I switch between the old and new RCEs all the time.)

View solution in original post

Thank you for your quick reply! Should I be asking my administrator to enable the New Rich Content Editor?

@mliebman ‌, if it were me, I would ask for it, at least to try it out, as it is currently slated to be the default RCE by the end of this year. Your admin can set it to "Allow" at the account level, which gives individual instructors the option to toggle it on or back off in their own courses.

Hi @Stefanie 

When you say "default RCE by the end of this year." Does that mean that we have the option to keep the original RCE?

Tracie

@traciebosket  By "default," I meant "only"; sorry that wasn't clear. Specifically, the old RCE will be removed altogether from Canvas on January 16, 2021, and on that date the new RCE will become the default and only RCE. Please read through Upcoming Canvas Changes - Canvas Community for details.

Oh, okay thanks @Stefanie  🙂

traciebosket
Explorer III

Hi @Stefanie !

I am having a lot of difficulties with the new rce. I have taught hundreds of faculty to use Canvas, but I cannot even figure out things that used to be so simple. I have spent the last 40 minutes trying to link images and text to a module. I have read the Canvas guides that I found, but they make little sense. I am sorry that I am venting, it is just so frustrating and maddening. And, I am supposed to train faculty on this new rce.
Are there some videos about linking things? or even better, scrap this new rce (sorry, venting again)

I am preparing our staff for the issues I think people will have. Linking is one of those. I think the key process to remember is the following: (1) Click the Link icon to open the dialog box to create external link. (2) Click the arrow next to the link icon to find a course link. (3) This will also be the case for Pictures, Media, and Documents. The other issue I am finding with link functionality is when you select a link to change the link,  you have to go back to the menu to break the link before you can see course links in the menu again. 

New rich content editorNew rich content editor