cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

New School Year, New Teacher - transferring things over

Jump to solution

I am switching roles this year, and need to hand over my courses to another teacher.  What is the best way for me to do this?  I want her to be able to change anything as she wishes-all content, quizzes, pages, assignments, due dates, EVERYTHING.  Each teacher can personalize their courses so I don't want things to revert back to the original (that happened when I tried importing modules last year...anytime I changed something it went back to the original version which was very frustrating.)

I went to add her to the course as a teacher, but the "+People" button is grayed out since the course concluded.  I tried changed the dates of my course to see if it would allow me to add her, but I still cannot. Last school year was our first year using Canvas so I have never had to face this step, haha.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Hi Sarah:

If there is a new course shell for the new instructor, they can easily import your course materials from last year into this years course. Here's the link to the instrcutions:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10713-67952724501

Steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Sarah:

At many schools adding users and changing the course state are admin functions (they are at our school). I would check with whomever is you Canvas admin at your school, or your eLearning office.

Kelley

Highlighted
Explorer

Hi Sarah:

If there is a new course shell for the new instructor, they can easily import your course materials from last year into this years course. Here's the link to the instrcutions:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10713-67952724501

Steve

View solution in original post

Highlighted

If she imports everything into her course, will she be able to edit and change things?  I recall when I tried doing that last year, it would revert my changes back to the original.

Just to clarify what I was doing since I am still frustrated this happened to me (haha):  I created a basic module since all my modules would have a similar layout and flow.  Example: Intro, day 1 assignment, day 1 quiz, day 2 assignment, day 2 quiz, etc.  I wanted to just "clone" each module and then edit each assignment/page/quiz/whatever with the different titles, and texts so I wouldn't have to manually create each one.  I shared the basic module to the commons, then imported them into my course.  I would go ahead and edit each module and think hooray! I'm done!  Then I logged in the next day and all my changes reverted back to the original module.  I did this twice thinking I messed up and somehow didn't save my work or something and it happened again which made me realize that importing things from the commons doens't allow you to modify them to make them your own (which doesn't make any sense to me).  

I am willing to try this since the instructions you said were for importing the whole course, and not sharing to the commons.  I'm just really afraid of things reverting back to the original!

Highlighted

Hi schristman@ccaeducate.me

Yes, the faculty who uploads the content from your course will be able to do anything she wants to it, and the changes will hold.

I think what messed you up, was you were copying the same content over and over from Commons, creating duplicates in your classroom, and Canvas reverted those duplicates to avoid conflicts. 

I copy my previous term content into my next term shells all the time, then revise what needs revising. Everything stays just as I put it.

Kelley

Highlighted

The way you described my error makes sense!  I think this will work out well!  Thank you, Kelley and Steve!