cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

New User

Jump to solution

I am new user. College just purchased CANVAS recently. Nothing is uploaded or created in the Dashboard. What should I do?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello shaw@dnakingstontraining.edu.au...

There are a couple ways that you can set up courses in your Canvas environment.  One way to do this is manual...meaning that you'd have to create each course one-by-one.  You can read more about that in this Guide: How do I add a course in an account?  Another way to do this is via SIS import.  This would be especially helpful if you have many courses that you want to create in your Canvas environment and don't want to create course shells one-by-one.  There are a bunch of Guides that describe this process:

What student information system (SIS) integrations are available in Canvas? 

How do I import SIS data to a Canvas account? 

How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account? 

How do I create an automated data integration for an account with Canvas and my SIS? 

How do I practice using the API to import SIS data to a Canvas account?  

What do I need to know about creating a script to automatically import SIS data to a Canvas account? 

Also, since you are a Canvas administrator, you can find all the Guides related to your role here in the Community.  Just click on the Guides menu at the top of this page, and then click on Canvas.  Finally, choose the red ADMIN button.  Also, if you go back to that Guides menu, there is a Videos option in that list with several administrator videos you can look through, too.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Shaw.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, shaw@dnakingstontraining.edu.au Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  You have posted your question in the global Canvas Community website where people from around the world come to ask questions, suggest Feature Ideas, post blogs, view "how to" Guides, and much more...all about Canvas.  Your question sounds very specific to your school, and so the majority of people here in the Community probably won't be able to give specific help.  However, we can provide some general guidelines that may help you.  The first thing to check in Canvas is your "Courses" >> "All Courses" screen. Do you see any courses listed there?  If not, you may need to reach out to someone at your school who is a local Canvas administrator or maybe someone from your school's Registration department to see if they can help you.  Many Canvas schools have connected their SIS (Student Information System) to Canvas to pass enrollment information from the SIS to Canvas.  I'm not sure if that's the case with your school, however.  I hope this information is helpful to you, Shaw.

Community Member

Thank you Chris. I am the CANVAS Administrator for my college. However, I am not sure of how to setup the courses etc.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello shaw@dnakingstontraining.edu.au...

There are a couple ways that you can set up courses in your Canvas environment.  One way to do this is manual...meaning that you'd have to create each course one-by-one.  You can read more about that in this Guide: How do I add a course in an account?  Another way to do this is via SIS import.  This would be especially helpful if you have many courses that you want to create in your Canvas environment and don't want to create course shells one-by-one.  There are a bunch of Guides that describe this process:

What student information system (SIS) integrations are available in Canvas? 

How do I import SIS data to a Canvas account? 

How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account? 

How do I create an automated data integration for an account with Canvas and my SIS? 

How do I practice using the API to import SIS data to a Canvas account?  

What do I need to know about creating a script to automatically import SIS data to a Canvas account? 

Also, since you are a Canvas administrator, you can find all the Guides related to your role here in the Community.  Just click on the Guides menu at the top of this page, and then click on Canvas.  Finally, choose the red ADMIN button.  Also, if you go back to that Guides menu, there is a Videos option in that list with several administrator videos you can look through, too.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Shaw.

View solution in original post