cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

New assignments are always MP1...

Jump to solution

When I make a new assignment through modules, it is automatically assigned to the same MP1 assignment group every time.  I've noticed that sometimes I forget to change it, and this is constantly messing up my MP2 grading since the grades are being calculated as MP1.

Question is, how many people are unaware of this and being affected by it, and is it going to be a SNAFU come end-of-marking-period?

Has anyone else noticed this is a problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Team
Community Team

mariel.kolker@msdk12.net​ and lane.worrall@msdk12.net​, your question sounds like it belongs in the purview of the Canvas Feature Ideas​ area--although here, we're talking about extending the ability not only to choose an assignment group but also to specify the marking period. A similar idea is currently open for voting, although it will be closing later today: . You might want to add your feedback to the discussion currently underway, or if you don't think that idea sufficiently covers your use case, create a new one after reading How to write a good feature idea submission​.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Member

Thanks for bringing this up mariel.kolker@msdk12.net​!  I will move this question to the broader Canvas community to see if anyone can help us out.

I found this conversation about how you can create one assignment, and then the assignments you create immediately afterwards will default to most of the same settings as that first assignment you created:  Setting Default Characteristics of Assignments

In that discussion awilliams​ said, "After you've created an assignment, if you immediately add a new assignment, most of the assignment settings will be retained from the last one such as point value, assignment group, and submission type."

awilliams​could you clarify what you mean by "immediately"?  Is that like without closing the window, or is there a particular time-frame associated with this action?

Also, do you know if this occurs regardless of how you create the assignment?  i.e. from Modules vs. from a particular assignment group on the Assignments page?

Copied to:

ckelson@instructure.comjames.grogan@morristownhighschool.org

Hi mariel.kolker@msdk12.netlane.worrall@msdk12.net

So that I understand correctly, I checked out your course, are you saying it's an issue because you are forgetting to change the assignment group when creating the assignment? I haven't heard this as a concern from any other schools at this point unfortunately.

Yes, the issue was that teachers might be forgetting to change the assignment group when creating a new assignment and not necessarily realize it if they were creating the assignment from Modules rather than Assignments. 

I think the confusion stems from the fact that in the past, we thought, the basic assignment details were set as "default" based on the last assignment you created (see the comment above from awilliams).  So, once you selected a particular assignment group, it would become the default assignment group for future assignments. 

So, in short, the question is:

Is there currently any way to create assignments that sets the basic details (point value, assignment group, and submission type) as "default" for the next assignment created in that course?

Thanks Clint!

Hi lane.worrall@msdk12.net​ & mariel.kolker@msdk12.net

After some testing today, I can at least share my experience. When I would go to assignments and click the + Assignment, the points I used, submission types, if it was group assignment, peer review, etc would default the next time I created a new assignment, the only thing that defaulted the same every time was the assignment group to 2014-2015. However, to avoid this if you go to assignments you could go to the assignment group you want to add the assignment to, click the + button and it would be added there and use that assignment group as the default.

It looks like Stefanie provided some good insight to other Feature Ideas as well.

Hi all,

Just to be clear, I am aware that it's very simple to choose the correct

assignment group when adding through the assignments page.

The issue comes in when creating an assignment through Modules, which is

always how I make assignments when building my playlist. The default is

the first assignment group, and unless a teacher knows to go in and change

it immediately upon creating it, the assignment will get put into a

different marking period, for example. On the occasion that I've forgotten

to change the assignment group, my students have noticed that one small

assignment will severely impact their grades (because it is being weighted

according to that assignment group).

The way it works now is not in error, it's just that as a result of this

default, it is easy to make a mistake that 1) is hard to find later on, and

2) has an immediate impact on grades.

My point is that teachers should be aware.

Community Team
Community Team

mariel.kolker@msdk12.net​ and lane.worrall@msdk12.net​, your question sounds like it belongs in the purview of the Canvas Feature Ideas​ area--although here, we're talking about extending the ability not only to choose an assignment group but also to specify the marking period. A similar idea is currently open for voting, although it will be closing later today: . You might want to add your feedback to the discussion currently underway, or if you don't think that idea sufficiently covers your use case, create a new one after reading How to write a good feature idea submission​.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos