cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

New color coding in rubrics

I would like to voice strong objections to the recent change in rubrics, adding color coding to the scores, with green for the highest scores and then orange and red for lower scores. I emphasize to my students that a C or B is a good score, but now those who have earned a C or B have red marks on their rubrics. The color coding does not reflect my judgment of my students' achievements, and I hope you will remove it or allow teachers to disable it.

Here is a link to the idea in Canvas Studio, if you'd like to vote on it: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12663-make-color-coding-optional-in-rubrics 

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Highlighted

This discussion dates to 2018, and the vote is currently 60 to 0 in favor of letting instructors change the colors. It's now 2020. Why didn't Instructure listen and act?

Highlighted
Learner II

When Instructure makes changes like this, it makes me wonder if they have people with teaching experience on staff in the different area.

Color coding this way is simple an outdated practice. Reminds me of the days of red ink pens grading my English papers.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Without weighing in on the whole question of the non-scoring rubrics, I wanted to make sure you are aware you can change the colors by using the Learning Mastery configuration. You could even make the colors the lightest grey with the color code "#f2f2f2" so they can be ignored. I tried to make them white, but the configuration didn't want to accept that.

Highlighted

Thank you for the information. I'll ask our admin to change them. I still think they should be controllable by instructors, but this will help!

Highlighted

Thanks Ira.  After discussion with colleagues, we have gone for Blue at the top, black at "well below" with traffic lights of green, amber and red in the middle. Changing colours is simple and colour codes can be used.  We decided to keep red at "Below M" because the mark is more a warning that something is NQR rather than a punishment.

Highlighted
Surveyor

You may also want to reach out to your CSM.   We have a few issues with the new rubrics.

Highlighted
Community Member

I noticed this as well. With my students, I cannot dash their spirits with red marks. Never have, never will. I was told that students do not see the marks. Then why are they there? Why color code it at all? Bring back the old way. I liked when students could see the box and number and read the comments to help them improve. 

I will try @IraStrauss 's suggestion. If I want to add assessment, I will.

Highlighted
Learner II

Does anybody have documentation regarding the default colors and how Canvas determines which color to use?

Also, I've noticed that colors in account-level rubrics differ slightly from the course-level cousins.  The colors appear to be darker.  

Our faculty also do not approve of the change.  And our assessment office does not want to change the default setup for account-level rubrics by altering the Learning Mastery colors.  Our account-level rubrics have 3 rating levels while course-level rubrics have anywhere from 2 to 5 rating levels.  It's the desire of the assessment office that rubric colors remain to be green for the Meets and Exceeds ratings and red for the "Does Not Meet" rating.  There's also confusion here why a feature for customization would affect both account-level and course-level rubrics as they are intended to be used differently.