cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan_baker
Learner

New gradebook change what student sees when ungraded

As an instructor using the new gradebook in Canvas, I've been fielding many email inquiries as to why students are showing zeros for assignments that they have turned in (as uploaded PDF's to an 'assignment'), but have not been graded yet. I do have the gradebook set to automatically apply a zero for missing assignments, but that should not apply to submitted assignments. Why not just show an icon like we see on our side of the gradebook for ungraded items?

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dan_baker , I'm thinking that it's something else going on here because I just double-checked and my students do NOT see zero's before I've graded an assignment. They see the little submitted assignment icon. I'm also a Canvas admin at my school so I was able to log in as one of my students and double-check this for sure. I took the following screen shot just now and you can see for Project 2: Final Paper the student has submitted, but doesn't have a grade yet. One thing I'm wondering... could this be an assignment that the student submitted late - and after the zero was already assigned? In that case, then it's possible that they might see a zero - but they shouldn't. Right now I'm totally caught up on my grading so I don't have a way to check this, but I'm sure by tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to double-check this. 🙂

Kona

Submission

Thanks for the follow up with Kona. I will take a bit more and double check with the students.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've also got a note to double-check this with my own class tomorrow. Let's see what we can do to figure this out!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dan_baker , I was able to test this and if a student submits an assignment late, so after they were already assigned a zero in the gradebook, then that does not change when they submit their assignment. It still shows in the gradebook as a zero; see example below highlighted in yellow - in this case the student submitted their assignment late and I haven't graded it yet.

Example submission

Yet, this actually kind of makes sense that it doesn't change to a submission. Why? Because I told the Gradebook to have a rule that after the due date any student who hadn't submitted got a zero. Which Canvas did. When the student then submits their assignment after this time, Canvas doesn't know if I'll take late work or not. Canvas just knows they didn't submit it on time so they got a zero - per what I told Canvas to do. What if I didn't take late work? Then I'd be ticked that Canvas changed this from a zero to a submission icon. 

Long story short, my guess is that this is what happened with your students. If you accept late work, then just let them know this will happen, but that they will know that they submitted something because it says "Late" instead of "Missing."

Hope this helps! Kona

Thanks for that perspective on the late assignments, that has come up at least once. Possibly the other zeros could have been some sort of gradebook mismanagement among my graders and myself. Unfortunately I 'fixed' the grades on the main assignment which I was having inquires, so can no longer check that one.

Best, Dan

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Keep a watch for any other potentially strange behavior! If you find something that doesn't seem to jive with what we just talked about - as normal behavior - then definitely submit it to Canvas Support (click on the Help link and Report a Problem).

Kona