New student

Jump to solution
SaadiaMartin
Community Member

hey guys , I'm a new student kind of nervous,  do you have any tips ? Especially about studying  lol

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @SaadiaMartin ...

Welcome to the Canvas Community.  If you have questions about how to use the available features of Canvas, I would recommend that you start by watching some of the Student tutorial videos found on this page: Video Guide - Canvas Community.  Maybe start with the Canvas Overview (Students) - Canvas Community video, and then you can watch some of the others afterwards.  Also, if you ever want to take a deeper dive into how Canvas works, there are a bunch of written Guides available at: Student Guide - Canvas Community.

As far as studying goes...you may want to contact your instructor about that...as he/she may have some recommendations for you about how much time you'd need to spend outside of class studying.  Here is a Guide that tells you how you can contact your instructor: How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? - Canvas Community.

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @SaadiaMartin 

First, I commend you for reaching out to learn more! Great job!

My friend @Chris_Hofer has given you some great information, and I am going to share some general tips for succeeding as an online student!

• Read Everything!: read everything your teacher posts in your online classroom - they put it there for a reason, and that reason is you! In a traditional classroom, if you forgot something, don't know something, missed something, etc., then you can simply raise your hand and ask your teacher. That is trickier in an online course (it can still be done), and that leads me to my next tip.
  • Check Into Your Class Daily: things change, and your teacher will change this. You need to stay on top of those changes.
  • Ask your Teacher: If there are information or instructions in your class you do not understand, use the Canvas Inbox to ask your teacher. Communication with your teacher is just as important online as it is in a traditional classroom. Let them know if you are going to be absent, late for an assignment submission, can't make a deadline, and anything else they might need to know.
  • Work in your Classroom: The Canvas Calendar provides links that will take you directly to an assignment, quiz or discussion. So do the global and course level To-Do Lists. This is handy, but too many students live and die by the Calendars and To-Do lists, and miss all the information your teacher has provided in the classroom to help you succeed at the assignment, quiz or discussion. If your course is organized into modules, then work trhough the modules sequentially or as instructed by your teacher!
  • Review all Feedback: Your teachers can provide feedback with your grades for submitted work. They may give this feedback to the class as a whole, or provide specific submission comments just for you. Read those, they will be helpful.
  • Track Your Own Learning: Review your grades frequently, it can identify areas of study for which you will need to improve your study habits.
  • Manage your Time: online classes typically take more time that traditional classes in some respects, but more time in other respects. Make sure you are setting aside enough time to accomplish your learning and completing assigned tasks.

I hope this is helpful, and if you need more just ask!

Kelley

View solution in original post