cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Newsletters

HI everyone Smiley Happy

We're looking into sending Newsletters to our students using Canvas LMS without using Announcements.  The "Canvas LMS Community Newsletter" seem to be the way to go.  Could someone please tell me how this Newsletter is set-up through Canvas?  Also, can it be archived?  Are there any other Newsletter apps that work well with Canvas out there?

Thank you.

Jean

9 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi jean.meyer@sydney.edu.au,

I don't believe the Canvas Community Newsletter is tied to Canvas in any way, it is tied to the software that runs the Canvas Community. I did a quick search for LTI plugins for Canvas that do newsletter kinds of things and didn't see anything right away. There might be something like that but I didn't find it with a quick search.

I guess I would like to know if you are trying to send a newsletter out to all of your students about Canvas or to students in individual courses? For large bulk emailing tasks, my university uses the GNU Mailman list system. This is open source and can be run on your own servers. Another list system I have used in the past is Free Newsletter Software: phpList.org | phpList.org. Depending on what you want to accomplish there are lots of options around for managing newsletters. In my volunteer position with a couple of nonprofit organizations, we use Mail Chimp which works fine for the amount of email that we send, but given the size of your institution the free version wouldn't quite cover what you are trying to do.

I am sure if you can give us a bit more detail we can more precisely point you in the right direction. I hope this helps and gives you a place to start.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jean.meyer@sydney.edu.au‌, orwinr‌ is correct: The Canvas Community Newsletter is a feature of the Canvas Community, which is built on a third-party software platform.

I found a blog post about creating newsletters for faculty that might give you some ideas: Creating an E-mail Newsletter  Also, have you thought about posting these newsletters to a blog and embedding a feed? I highly recommend that you look through the resources in Laura Gibbs' Blog‌, as she uses external blogs and RSS feeds into Canvas courses in all sorts of creative ways.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks so much for your response Randy and Stefanie.  What we are trying to do is send Newsletter out to all our students using Canvas with archive feature.  I know that Canvas has Discussion forums, but not really what we are looking for.  We would like it to work just like how Canvas Community Newsletter where an email is sent out to all subscribers, listing new items (with first 2 lines showing or more) with "read more" tag which should then take them to the actual newsletter.  Archive functionality is quite important too.

Is there such a plug-in that works well in Canvas?  If not, how does the Canvas Community Newsletter get distributed and what plug-in or software does it use?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

Hi jean.meyer@sydney.edu.au,

I am not aware of a specific plugin that integrates with Canvas for the purpose that you are looking for. As far as the community newsletters, these are generated by the 3rd party platform, Jive (Collaboration Software Solutions by Jive Software ), that runs the Canvas Community. As sanders@indiana.edupointed out in her reply, you could check out what laurakgibbs‌ is doing with blogs or you could do something like chofer@morainepark.edu is doing using Outlook. I have successfully used mail merge in Word and sent loads of email out via Outlook quite frequently and it has worked well. Now, processing thousands of emails in this manner might take a while. I just put all the name and email info into a spreadsheet and use that to populate fields in Word. Sorry I don't have more info to provide 😞

Highlighted

Hi everybody! I use the basic Google Blogger email option, which allows people to subscribe/unsubscribe to the emails, and there are also branding and delivery options available; Google bought Feedburner, and that is what runs the email subscription. Here's a screenshot of what Feedburner looks like (below). There are even more sophisticated blog-based email services available for WordPress, but I'm very happy with how the Google Blogger option works. The emails look really nice!

Screenshot of Google Feedburner:

Google Feedburner screenshot

Highlighted

Hi everyone...

Full disclosure.  I haven't been doing Newsletters for about a year now, but my supervisor wants these to start up again.  Using Outlook as orwinr had mentioned was not a great method for me, and so I eventually ended up using Microsoft Publisher...and even then, it wasn't the best format, but it worked.  Then, I saw a presentation from snufer‌ where he was using Microsoft Sway.  Sway embeds nicely into a Canvas page.  So, instead of sending out an e-mail, I posted a link on the Canvas Dashboard (I'm an admin, so I can do this) that people can click on to go to a "public" course we have which has the newsletter built in Sway.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I introduced Sway to my institution two years ago, and now many of our department newsletters and board of director presentations utilize that platform.  It's very easy to learn, but most importantly it's a cloud/browser-based platform that renders well on all platforms, even mobile.  It always looks good.  

Highlighted
Community Member

We have also requested that Canvas create some sort of newsletter option. Each teacher sends a newsletter to their class every week. At the current time, a "homeroom" is created for each grammar level teacher and that is where the newsletters are stored. The home page in homeroom provides links to each of these new pages and they are titled by date. For our middle school we use the announcements.

Highlighted

i don,t won,t to be mean but this is to much i just can,t do it it just to much kid  everthing

Tags (1)