cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachel8
Community Member

Not receiving welcome email

I'm testing Canvas in my school's shell. As a teacher, I added myself as a student in a course, and am having trouble receiving the student welcome email. Are others experiencing delays in receiving this? It's also not in my junk folder.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rachel8  and welcome to the Canvas Community!  Can you provide a bit more information on the process you are using?  After adding yourself as a student to your course are you creating an announcement and expect this to be forwarded to your school email address or are you creating this in Conversations (the Inbox) and hope this is sent to your actual email address?  This information may help point to what could be happening.

Thanks!

rachel8
Community Member

Thanks for your quick reply, Eric. I'm adding myself as a student who has never used Canvas before, so I'm hoping that by adding the student to the class on Canvas, a welcome email will be prompted so I (as the student) can create a password.

Hi  @rachel8 .  Thanks for the additional information.  This is a free for teachers account, correct?  I see that with FFT there is an option for students to be sent an email with information on how to register, but don't believe that if you already have an account and add yourself as a student, that this would trigger that email be sent.  It may be possible to try if you used a separate email address so the system doesn't recognize you are already enrolled.  You could also try with an actual student as a test if you know of someone you could add and then ask if he/she received the email.

If this is a FFT account, you may want to join the Free-For-Teachers‌ user group as well.

Do either of the test options above sound as though they may be a possibility?

Hi  @rachel8 .  We haven't heard from you in a while so I thought I would check back and see if my earlier response was helpful or if you found another solution to the issue mentioned in your original post. I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered" for now, but this can be changed if needed and marking the question as assumed answered doesn't prevent continued discussion in the thread.

All the best!