cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Novel Choice Assignment Groups

I teach English and give my students a choice between three novels. I would like to create assignment groups so that once a student signs up for a group, according to the novel they chose, only those assignments will appear for them. Is there any way to do this? I know how to create groups and make a group assignment, but I still want the students to each complete all of the assignments; not have one submission count for everyone.

Thanks!

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hchamber@fwps.org​, if you want students to do individual work for the novel assignments - so no actual group work, but individual assignments for each specific book - then you can't use/do a "group" assignment. If you do then only ONE submission will count for each group. What happens is that every time someone from the group submits to the assignment the assignment that was submitted before that is removed and replaced with the most recent submission. This also means that everyone in the group can see the most recent submission even if it's not theirs. This is also what happens even if you have the "grade individually" box checked. You can assign an individual grade to each student in the group, but it's for the SAME submission. This information is alluded to, but not clearly spelled out in the following guide - How do I grade group assignments in a course? - "If the group assignment was set up to assign grades to each student individually, the submission will still apply for each group member's assignment, but the drop-down menu displays the name of each individual student"

In general I can't think of any way to do what you're wanting to do with groups. Groups just aren't really designed to do what you're wanting to do. My recommendation is to create the assignments for all the novels like regular assignments but leave them unpublished - so students can't see them. Have students sign-up for a novel. THEN once you know who signed up for which novel, you would go into the different assignments and use the differentiate assignment due date/time feature to have only the students who signed up for a specific novel to have access to that novel's assignments; then publish the assignments - this way the students would only see the assignments for their novel. See this guide for more information on how to do this - How do I assign an assignment to an individual student or course section? - basically you would have to select each student that the assignment applied to instead of being able to select a group or section.

Hope this helps and makes sense!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hchamber@fwps.org​...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since kona@richland.edu​' response on October 26th.  Have you had a chance to review Kona's reply?  Do you still need assistance with your question?  If you could, please come back to give the member of the Canvas Community an update either way.  If Kona's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark her answer as "Correct".  For now, I will go ahead and mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Heather.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Anyone currently using group assignments in Canvas, or wanting to learn more, will want to check out the new CanvasLIVE "GROUPIES" series, kicking off this Tuesday, January 31, 2017 with GROUPIES: Group Assignments. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

Highlighted
Community Member

I'm trying to do something similar to what Heather is attempting but Kona's solution doesn't work so well for me.  I have two assignment groups for students to choose for their final paper (basically each group has four assignments - an abstract, outline, rough draft, and final submission for the research paper and three writing activities and a final submission for a short story).  The assignments need to be published before hand and I have lots of students so sorting through each one and differentiating the assignments will take lots of time and will probably end up with mistakes.  How do I go about setting it up so that students can choose one path or the other?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

francm@indiana.edu‌, directly, there isn't a way to do this. Yet... I'm wondering if we can kind of hack Mastery Path's and get it to do what you need it to do. **Note, I haven't tried this and I'm not 100% sure how it will work.**

Bare with me while I try to talk through this... Mastery Path's are designed to customize the learning path students take based on the grade on an initial assignment - How do I use MasteryPaths in course modules? So the issue with this is that to get it started there has to be one common assignment that all students take that is worth a grade. This one grade is what then puts students on one path or another. <-- That's the downside to all of this. Yet, stay with me I really am going somewhere with this, my thought is what if you created a quiz and a multiple choice question - "Which assignment group do you want to do" and the answer options were: Assignment Group A or Assignment Group B? Assignment group A would be set as the correct answer worth 1 point. Assignment Group B would be set to be an incorrect answer and worth 0 points. [Note, warn the students that this doesn't mean anything and won't hurt their grade].

Using Mastery Paths you could have it so that if the student selected Assignment A (1 point) then their path took them to all of the Assignment's for A. If the student selected B (0 points) then their path took them to all of the Assignment's for B. See guides below for more information on how to set this up:

Setting this up this way would take care of you needing to manually assign them to the different assignments.

As for the initial quiz and the students who got a zero on the one point quiz. There are a few things you could do to adjust for this. The first and easiest is if you have a percentage based gradebook. If so, then put this initial quiz into a zero percent assignment group. That way the grade doesn't impact their grade at all and you don't need to mess with it at all. If you don't use a percent/weighted gradebook then warn the students that it will look like their grade is impacted, but that at the end of the semester (or end of the assignment) you will go in and set the default grade to one point - this will quickly and easily give everyone who took the quiz 1 point.

Ok, if you've made it through all of that what do you think? 🙂

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks!  It took me a bit but to figure out how to use mastery path but I'm pretty sure your solution will work.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yay!!! Happy Dance!!! If you get a chance please come back and let us know for sure if this worked or not! 🙂

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

As a follow-up, I wrote this blog based on our conversation - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona@richland.edu/blog/2017/03/29/hacking-masterypaths 

In this blog I actually documented me testing Mastery Paths out to see if it this hack works and while yes, it worked, I ended up needing to tweak something at the end - for giving a grade to the people who picked the 0 point option. **This only applies if you're using a points based gradebook.** If you do the default grade to 1 for all students then it will open up the 1 point option assignments to everyone in the class - regardless of which option they originally picked. Yet, if you go in and give the students who got a zero "fudge points" (so one fudge point) then it doesn't open up the 1 point option assignments. 

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Community Member

I have this all setup and it is almost working well.  There is a problem that I am encountering that has to do with the due dates and close dates.   When students get put into a mastery path after taking the quiz they are placed into a separate Assign To group with null due date and close date.   The good news is that they are all in the same Assign To group so I can just change the dates in that group.   The problem is that it does result in quite a bit of updating the assignment.    Thanks again for the solution, once we figure out this last piece I will be using this method quite a bit!

M

225259_Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 8.20.04 AM.png

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels