cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Number of students reported on courses root page inaccurate

Jump to solution

We just discovered (because we are new to Canvas) that the number of students for a class, as reported on the list of classes webpage at the root level, does not show the total number of students, but only those that have accepted their invitations. That means that there is no way to really get a total number, shown as digits, displayed somewhere convenient that reflects how many students are enrolled in the class. When we manually add someone, they are enrolled regardless of whether they have accepted their invite or not. That is how we know how close we are to maximum. On the People page, there is no total displayed - you have to manually count, which is ridiculous, and you have to remember to not include the teachers and TAs. How have others dealt with this inaccuracy? Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi. Actually no one answered my question because it appears to just be a weird programming choice that would show the number of students on the summary page only be equal to the number of those who have accepted invites. What both Anthony and Chris provided were the band-aids, but neither resolves my original problem . Please do not mark anyone as the one who answered because neither of them did even though their information was useful as an alternative (and Anthony's was first). I will mark my answer here as the Answer since it is a summary of what I learned.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Surveyor

Have you considered doing an SIS import from whatever Student Information System you're using?  It would prevent issues with your enrollments not matching up.  It also makes the accounts auto-accept invites, so you don't have to worry about a student accidentally declining an invite.

As for student numbers - on the People page of a course, there's a dropdown to sort by user role, which indicates the number of each role including the number of students in the class.  And between that and the list of users, there's a line of text that tells you how many people have not accepted their invites.  Does that help with what you're trying to do ?

We do not use a traditional SIS, so that is not an option. We were told the number on the root page was the actual number, and are surprised to learn it is not. That drop-down to filter does help. Thanks for reminding me it was there. We want the number reflected there to be the same as the one on the list of classes page. Hopefully my rep will be able to find a solution for that.

Hi swinter@rolf.org​...

In addition to the location in "People" (where you can see a count of enrolled members) that Anthony has mentioned, there's another place you can also see this information.  In your course, click on "Settings".  Under all the buttons on the right side of your screen, there is a table of information for "Current Users".  Hope this helps.

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, swinter@rolf.org​, it's been been a while since we last heard from you. Did the response from chofer@morainepark.edu resolve your issue? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks.

Hi. Actually no one answered my question because it appears to just be a weird programming choice that would show the number of students on the summary page only be equal to the number of those who have accepted invites. What both Anthony and Chris provided were the band-aids, but neither resolves my original problem . Please do not mark anyone as the one who answered because neither of them did even though their information was useful as an alternative (and Anthony's was first). I will mark my answer here as the Answer since it is a summary of what I learned.

View solution in original post

Surveyor

I am not sure if this is still open for dialogue, but we just created a course for commuters to connect and I sent out a lot of invitations and found this page to answer that question. Under active students you can see that 217 are active with 80 user having not accepted the invite, showing total users as 307. 

https://YourInstance.instructure.com/courses/XXXX/statistics 255305_Statistics.JPG