cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmclaughlin
Not applicable

Observer Accounts & Student Grades

We have parents who are the observers for multiple students. When using the observer platform, is there a way to filter student grades and dashboards so they can look at one student's information at a time rather than all 3? 

3 Replies
jcarpenter1
Community Contributor

Hello  @lmclaughlin  .  I saw that there was an update on the Parent app to make it easier to toggle between student, but can't find where there is any document on it.  I found this from 2018. Multiple children to observe 

Hopefully someone from Canvas Mobile Users Group‌ can help you.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Lindsey,

Yes, you can view individual student information in both the desktop and the mobile app.

In the desktop version, the Dashboard shows all courses where students are enrolled. But you can view student data individually within each course. You can view grades for a specific student using these instructions: How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? 

(If you want to learn more about how to use Canvas using the desktop version as an Observer, see Canvas Observer Guide - Table of Contents

Mobile app guides for the Parent app can be found here: Mobile Guides - Canvas Parent (we support both iOS and Android). The app is an easy way to view grades, assignments, and more for your students.

Hope that helps!

Erin

LMScomparison
Community Participant

Lindsey, you said, "In the desktop version, the Dashboard shows all courses where students are enrolled. But you can view student data individually within each course." 

The OP is obviously asking about using the individual child as the filtering unit, not seeing the individual child in their individual course. Yours is a completely circular answer and doesn't resolve anything.

Canvas has received plenty feedback and reviews on what UI/UX improvements are needed to approach even a basic level of functionalities, such as simple sorting and filtering. Not a finger has been lifted to fix these very simple developing issues while parents are spending 10x more time having to use this train wreck of a software solution. Leaving thousands of parents and a hole generation disappointed with the product, I can only conclude that Canvas is actively trying to tarnish its own brand.