cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Odd number of students and peer review

Jump to solution

I am looking at using peer reviews.  I am curious to know what happens to auto assigned peer review if there is an odd number of students in a class?  There is only one review per student. I have 25 students, do only 24 get a peer review? #peer review process

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

finchd@byui.edu 

The peer review process does not pair students, the assignment is random and independent. Said another way, Student B will not automatically get student A just because student A got student B. If they do happen to get each other, it's random chance and coincidence.

There is no need for there to be an even number of students in the class

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

finchd@byui.edu 

The peer review process does not pair students, the assignment is random and independent. Said another way, Student B will not automatically get student A just because student A got student B. If they do happen to get each other, it's random chance and coincidence.

There is no need for there to be an even number of students in the class

View solution in original post

Highlighted

If all students have submitted their paper for peer review, how does the system guarantee that each student is randomly given another student’s paper to review. I want to make sure that each of my 25 students has a paper to review. What is the best way to do that. Does one review accomplish this?

Highlighted

Unless you have some special requirements for who gets assigned to whom, then the easiest way is to let Canvas do the random assignment for you. If you have special requirements, you may need to do a manual assignment.

Here is a page from the Canvas Instructor's Guide that may help: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10094-415254249 

Note that once you assign peer reviews, it becomes a background job for Canvas. That means that it needs some time to think about it and process it to make sure that everyone gets assigned the proper number of reviews without duplicates. If you immediately go to the peer reviews after saving the assignment, then you may see "None assigned", but if you reload the page in a few minutes, it will probably be fully populated.

As to how does it guarantee this, it's part of the programming that makes up Canvas. To confirm, I just took a class with 32 students it and asked it randomly assign 1 peer review to each student. All 32 students got 1 review and all 32 students received 1 peer review. No one received themselves as a review.

It sounds like 1 review for each student is exactly what you're asking for, If not, then I'm not understanding what you're saying.