Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Office 365 External Tool Permissions Issue

Jump to solution

Here is a problem we are currently working on dealing with the Office 365 integration in Canvas:

An Instructor shared several files via the Office 365 External Tool in Modules. All of the students can access the file, except for one student.

Backstory: That lone student could access the files during week 1, but cannot anymore.

He recently came to the Service Desk to get some help. The Service Desk could not figure it out. I went and had a chat with the Instructor to see the access info for the files she shared with the class in Canvas. We discovered that his mother (a Dean at our institution) has access to all of the files that son should have access to. Mother (Dean) and Son (Student) use a common computer at home. 

Going back to week 1 in the course: Is it possible that she was signed into to her Office 365 account when he initially accessed the files in Canvas and it established a gateway from his Canvas account to her 365...and now when he tries to access the files in Canvas and is not also signed into Mom's 365 account it gives him the no access error?

We're stumped by this one. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think you might be on to something. Here is a test I would try.... have the student log in to Office 365 (not through Canvas) and store a file in OneDrive (if they don't already have files there).  Then, have the student try to submit a file to an Assignment in Canvas and click the Office 365 tab.  If the student does not see the file they added as an option to submit my guess is that the office 365 account from the Parent has been associated with the student's Canvas account.  How it happened could have been by using a shared computer. 

If this is indeed the problem I have no idea how to fix it, but Canvas support is the best option to take a look.  They should be able to disassociate the accounts so that the student can get their O365 account linked instead.   

One suggestion you might give to the family after this is to use Chrome Profiles to help with managing things like this.  I have several profiles set up in Chrome to manage when I'm using it for work, vs personal, and for each of my family members if they use my computer.  I really helps keep logins separate and can help to avoid situations like what you describe above.  Here is a short explanation of how Chrome Profiles work and can be set up Everything You Need to Know About Google Chrome’s Profile Switcher 

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think you might be on to something. Here is a test I would try.... have the student log in to Office 365 (not through Canvas) and store a file in OneDrive (if they don't already have files there).  Then, have the student try to submit a file to an Assignment in Canvas and click the Office 365 tab.  If the student does not see the file they added as an option to submit my guess is that the office 365 account from the Parent has been associated with the student's Canvas account.  How it happened could have been by using a shared computer. 

If this is indeed the problem I have no idea how to fix it, but Canvas support is the best option to take a look.  They should be able to disassociate the accounts so that the student can get their O365 account linked instead.   

One suggestion you might give to the family after this is to use Chrome Profiles to help with managing things like this.  I have several profiles set up in Chrome to manage when I'm using it for work, vs personal, and for each of my family members if they use my computer.  I really helps keep logins separate and can help to avoid situations like what you describe above.  Here is a short explanation of how Chrome Profiles work and can be set up Everything You Need to Know About Google Chrome’s Profile Switcher 

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu!

Canvas Support was able to disassociate and then the student was able to reassociate. All good now! 

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels