cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whittlkm
Community Member

Office365 Integration

Jump to solution

I want my students to use a form that I created in Office365 to answer questions that go with a video. Can I create an assignment with it and then grade it within Canvas?

Also, I want to have my students use a PowerPoint template that I have created for a research project. Can I create an assignment with that and have them turn it in to me (as an upload or something) and then grade it within Canvas? 

If not, what are alternative ways to accomplish these two task types?

Thanks so much!! Smiley Happy 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @whittlkm ,

If Office 365 LTI has been set up for your institution as well as your course, you can create an Office 365 cloud assignment for both of those scenarios.

Cloud assignments allow you to embed a file created using Office 365 to your assignment and a copy of that document, powerpoint, etc. will be made for students to edit and submit to Canvas. You can then use Canvas to grade those submissions. For more details, check out the How do I create a cloud assignment with a Microsoft Office 365 file? guide. 

Naomi

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @whittlkm ,

If Office 365 LTI has been set up for your institution as well as your course, you can create an Office 365 cloud assignment for both of those scenarios.

Cloud assignments allow you to embed a file created using Office 365 to your assignment and a copy of that document, powerpoint, etc. will be made for students to edit and submit to Canvas. You can then use Canvas to grade those submissions. For more details, check out the How do I create a cloud assignment with a Microsoft Office 365 file? guide. 

Naomi

View solution in original post

christinaballar
Surveyor

For forms I use Microsoft Forms and embed the forms in an assignment in Canvas. While I cannot grade the form (microsoft forms are online), I can view responses and the data can be exported to Excel. I view the responses in Forms and then go apply a rubric in the assignment in Canvas.

Hi Christina,

Can you elaborate on how you do that? I need specific steps as I am still real new to using Canvas. I understand what you are saying to do, I just do not know how to implement that in Canvas. 

Hi  @whittlkm ‌,

Sure -- Once you have a Microsoft Form created, click on "Share" and you will see something like this: 348304_pastedImage_1.png

Select the third button and copy the embed code. In Canvas you can create an assignment, use the HTML editor and paste the embed code into the assignment. This is an example of what that will look like once you have embedded the form:348323_pastedImage_2.png

For the assignment options:

submission type = No Submission (because you are collecting the responses outside of Canvas.

Since we use a single sign-on and students have access as long as their computer is not logged into another organization's Microsoft License, Forms automatically collects their ID (email address). If you have to give access to people outside your organization, make sure you have an field for people to put their email address or ID in - because Forms cannot automatically collect it.

I keep a table where I track form submissions and make notes, when I return to the assignment to grade I just copy / paste my notes.

I hope this helps!

Just want to say thanks for taking the time to post your solution. Worked perfectly for me! I had been linking from our schedule to a Microsoft Form, which didn't put the assignment in the Canvas queue. Now students can easily see the assignment and complete forms/quizzes in one place. Appreciate the help!

Forms is not part of Office365, which is why you cannot directly integrate using Microsoft Forms.

@christinaballar ,

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise with your fellow community members, especially in these difficult times. Please check your direct messages for a small token of our appreciation. :0)

Thanks again for all that you do and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
Canvas Community Team