cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmarcelo
Community Member

On Adding students to classes

Jump to solution

Are instructors allowed to add students to his classes? If we are, how do I do it? 

My dilemma is that in my Public finance class students were accidentally grouped into two. One named Public Finance and the other FM1541-A. I changed the name of the Public Finance group into FM1541-A but the names of the students who were enrolled in that class do not  appear in the list of people in the original FM1541-A class. How do I modify it an add the students who were originally in Public Finance to FM1541-A class. I cannot see their names in the people list.

Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello gmarcelo and welcome to the Canvas Community!  To answer your question  about adding students to your class, this depends on how the permissions of instance of Canvas is set up as  @chofer  describes in this post How to add students & teachers to my class?.  At a couple of institutions I have been at, we did not allow teachers to add students to classes because it could cause problems for students if the instructor adding him/her to a class but they did not formally change their schedule with our Registrar.  In these instances, all course enrollments came automatically through SIS import.

Do you have have two separate Canvas shells, two sections within the same course shell (see What is the hierarchical structure for Canvas accounts? ), or two student groups within Canvas (see What are Groups?)?  This may help point to what problem you are experiencing.  However, it might be good for you to contact the IT or Canvas support groups at your institution to see if they can provide insight to what may be occurring.  I know that our IT team wants to know if course enrollments don't appear as they should so that they can fix any problems with how the SIS import works before it becomes larger.  You might also consider filing a ticket with Canvas support.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello gmarcelo and welcome to the Canvas Community!  To answer your question  about adding students to your class, this depends on how the permissions of instance of Canvas is set up as  @chofer  describes in this post How to add students & teachers to my class?.  At a couple of institutions I have been at, we did not allow teachers to add students to classes because it could cause problems for students if the instructor adding him/her to a class but they did not formally change their schedule with our Registrar.  In these instances, all course enrollments came automatically through SIS import.

Do you have have two separate Canvas shells, two sections within the same course shell (see What is the hierarchical structure for Canvas accounts? ), or two student groups within Canvas (see What are Groups?)?  This may help point to what problem you are experiencing.  However, it might be good for you to contact the IT or Canvas support groups at your institution to see if they can provide insight to what may be occurring.  I know that our IT team wants to know if course enrollments don't appear as they should so that they can fix any problems with how the SIS import works before it becomes larger.  You might also consider filing a ticket with Canvas support.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Thanks! I assume, my institution's admin have the right to add students to

particular classes. At any rate, thank you very much for quick rresponse.

• Thank you!*

"Non Omnis Moriar"

Gerry A. Marcelo, BSE-SS, MBA

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 10:17 PM, stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Anytime!  I hope this gets squared away quickly and the class goes well!