cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slopez1
Community Member

One Email Two Accounts

Jump to solution

My school district has an account set up for me already, that can be accessed through there portal.

Looks like this: Log In to Canvas

I tried to view resources here: SoCalCanvasCon15: 10 Tips to Make the Most of Canvas Commu...

Well, it wouldn't recognize my account set up already with my district so I created a new one here:

Then when I still tried to access the resources, I was blocked from being allowed to view the link. So my question is, how do I access the resource links and how do I delete the extra account that I created that is not associated with my district?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bonjour siglinde​, Hello stefaniesanders  Greetings  @slopez1 

For what it is worth, when I follow the link in Shaun's original post, it takes me to SoCalCanvasCon15: 10 Tips to Make the Most of Canvas Commu... , which isn't actually in the Canvas community at all.  When I search in the community for "SoCalCanvasCon15", the only other hit besides this thread is https://community.canvaslms.com/events/1090#comment-16026 , which certainly is pleasant to review.

As far as merging accounts goes, support can do this for you with Canvas accounts but we cannot merge accounts in Jive (aka the community platform).   @slopez1  I can delete the Jive account you created when you authenticated via Free for Teachers if you prefer.  Like Stefanie recommended, I would advise that you authenticate into Jive via your HB canvas instance.

siglinde Ce n'est pas terrible!  You shouldn't have to maintain separate accounts for all those instances of Canvas.  I'd advise you to file a help ticket and ask to have them merged.  I'm almost certain support can do that for you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@slopez1 ​, so many possibilities. Smiley Happy

Are you trying to access the presentation resources at this login: Log In to Canvas . If so, that instance is completely different instance from your school's, and you won't want to delete those credentials or merge accounts. If this is where you created the new login, use the Help button at the upper right of that screen (select the Report a Problem option) to get help with your login issue.

Also, is this the message you saw after you entered your newly-created credentials?

SoCal15_unauthorized-message.png

That's what I saw as well, so it's possible that the resources aren't yet published, or that you haven't yet been added to the course that contains them.

I suggest you continue to use the login credentials your school initially created for you to access your Canvas courses at this login: Log In to Canvas  If you're trying to access the presentation resources using your new credentials, submit a Help ticket (select Report a Problem) from the canvas.instructure.com login screen, and Canvas Support can quickly determine the status of the presentation resources. Or ask someone at the conference!

In any event, please let us know if you've succeeded in accessing the resources and how you enjoyed  @biray ​'s presentation!

hello,

I have a similar issue: the SSO is not working for me either. (I am a FFT user and belong to no institution that has purchased Canvas yet)

So let me check if this is really the only way to handle things:

=> No way to merge?

I went through How do I merge users in an account? and How do I log into the Community with my Canvas Account? - but I don't have the option to merge and there is never automatic authentication when I switch between the Canvas instances (I always get the Ooops! message...). On the Canvas mobile App I managed to join only the learn.canvas.net and the canvas. instructure.com accounts.

Can somebody help or just confirm that there is indeed no other way than to juggle with all these accounts? (maybe  @scottdennis ?)

Merci in advance 🙂

Bonjour siglinde​, Hello stefaniesanders  Greetings  @slopez1 

For what it is worth, when I follow the link in Shaun's original post, it takes me to SoCalCanvasCon15: 10 Tips to Make the Most of Canvas Commu... , which isn't actually in the Canvas community at all.  When I search in the community for "SoCalCanvasCon15", the only other hit besides this thread is https://community.canvaslms.com/events/1090#comment-16026 , which certainly is pleasant to review.

As far as merging accounts goes, support can do this for you with Canvas accounts but we cannot merge accounts in Jive (aka the community platform).   @slopez1  I can delete the Jive account you created when you authenticated via Free for Teachers if you prefer.  Like Stefanie recommended, I would advise that you authenticate into Jive via your HB canvas instance.

siglinde Ce n'est pas terrible!  You shouldn't have to maintain separate accounts for all those instances of Canvas.  I'd advise you to file a help ticket and ask to have them merged.  I'm almost certain support can do that for you.

View solution in original post

FYI, follow up (reply from the support team on my help ticket about merging accounts):

"I do not recommend merging the four users you mentioned. You'd not be able to do it, even as an account admin in one of these three accounts, because your four users are literally separate and reside in three separate Canvas accounts. While it's possible for us to merge users across accounts, I strongly recommend against it because certain oddities can arise"

Oh, interesting.  That makes sense now that I think about it.  Move of the time when I have seen people merge users it has been within one Canvas account.