cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhumphreys
Surveyor

OneNote LTI Integration

Jump to solution

Hi.  Our site is attempting to use OneNote LTI integration.  We have set it up at the Admin level and the Class NoteBook option is available in all courses.  Staff can set up notebooks with no issues, however we are experiencing all issues with student access.  This occurs either manually or asking Canvas to add the user. All our students are Office365 users and have accounts generated automatically for them.  Staff can see the notebooks in their OneDrive accounts.

Picture of the error is below: OneNoteError.JPG

So my question is:  Have other's got OneNote LTI working with their Canvas courses and if yes are there any special tricks.  I have contact Canvas directly with my query and have had a look at previous questions but nothing directly is about permissions.

Thanks

Darryl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhumphreys
Surveyor

Hi everyone.  My apologies for late reply.  The problem was solved but it turned out to be a Office365 permission error. I did contact Canvas who ran some tests but could not replicate on their end.  Our site had enacted restrictions on certain features in Office365 for students which impacted on the creation of files in OneDrive.  Tweaking these settings allowed OneNote integration to function appropriately for students and we have successfully been running this feature (in test form) with a year level for the last term.  If anyone would like more specific details on what permissions affected our users let me know and I will follow up with our IT guys.  Cheers

Darryl

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@dhumphreys , I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! Were you able to devise a solution independently, or with the help of Canvas Support, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this?

mckinneyk
Surveyor

We are experiencing the same issue here so I'd be curious if you found a solution as well?

jennifer_roddel
Surveyor

We are also experiencing the same problems. I'd love to know how to resolve this!

dhumphreys
Surveyor

Hi everyone.  My apologies for late reply.  The problem was solved but it turned out to be a Office365 permission error. I did contact Canvas who ran some tests but could not replicate on their end.  Our site had enacted restrictions on certain features in Office365 for students which impacted on the creation of files in OneDrive.  Tweaking these settings allowed OneNote integration to function appropriately for students and we have successfully been running this feature (in test form) with a year level for the last term.  If anyone would like more specific details on what permissions affected our users let me know and I will follow up with our IT guys.  Cheers

Darryl

View solution in original post

Darryl

I am experiencing the same issues with our LTI integration after a recent upgrade and I am wondering if the modifications you put into place are similar/the same ones that are causing us problems.  Please provide some specifics so we can verify if your steps can help us resolve our issues. Thanks

mckinneyk
Surveyor

Hi Darryl,

If it's possible, would you be able to check with your IT folks?  We are experiencing this sporadically so it doesn't seem to be a system level issue but I'd be curious what they found to see if it can point us in the right direction.

Thank you!

Kyle

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the next installment in the CanvasLIVE series on Office365: O365 LTI Series: Canvas + Microsoft in the Clouds,  which is coming up this Friday, February 10, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

berryjr
Surveyor

Hi all

We are also looking at Class Notebook and Canvas. If we add the LTI at admin level can staff then create class notebooks at course level WITHOUT having to go through the key/secret linking themselves? We are worried this is too complex for some staff.

Thanks

Joe

That's correct, although we didn't want the Class Notebook link to appear in everyone's courses if they weren't going to use it. So we modified the xml file to disable course navigation by default. That way it's installed but the teacher has to go into the Navigation tab and enable it for it to be visible to students.