cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Opting Out of Canvas Conversations

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if there is any way that a student could opt out of Canvas Conversations in such a way so that they could avoid messages from, say, the Registrar's office? I know there is a way to filter messages from a particular course, but I am trying to confirm that there's no way for a message from our financial hold bot to be returned as un-deliverable.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer III

Hi William,

I don't believe there is a way for students to "opt out" of Conversations.  

They can set their notifications so that there is a notification about the message going to an address or phone number that eventually proves to be "undeliverable", but that won't prevent the message itself from going into the Inbox on Canvas.

Whether or not your financial aid bot might get an "undeliverable" notice depends on how the bot is delivering the messages to students' inboxes.  If the bot is using the Conversations "create a conversation" API (Conversations - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation ), then problems with the parameters sent with the POST could certainly result in something that's "undeliverable", but that's not really a result of anything the student would do.

Does that help?

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer III

Hi William,

I don't believe there is a way for students to "opt out" of Conversations.  

They can set their notifications so that there is a notification about the message going to an address or phone number that eventually proves to be "undeliverable", but that won't prevent the message itself from going into the Inbox on Canvas.

Whether or not your financial aid bot might get an "undeliverable" notice depends on how the bot is delivering the messages to students' inboxes.  If the bot is using the Conversations "create a conversation" API (Conversations - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation ), then problems with the parameters sent with the POST could certainly result in something that's "undeliverable", but that's not really a result of anything the student would do.

Does that help?

Mike

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sure does! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Labels