Optional final exam

Jump to solution
bsm45
Community Member

Final exams in my course are optional, if a student is satisfied with their current grade then they can choose not to take the final and their current grade will be their final grade. The final, if taken, is to replace the lowest mid-term exam score, regardless of whether it improves their grade or not. (If I have to spend the extra time to grade it, then it WILL count.) So I've been trying to set this up using the assignment rules available, I know I can drop a low score and assign the final as a never-drop score, but how does this affect calculated grades for students who opt-out of the final? Will it also drop a low score for them?

Thanks,

Ben

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bsm45 ...

Full disclosure...I'm an administrator for our school's Canvas environment, and I don't teach courses.  So, my knowledge of grading students isn't as great...but have you experimented with using the "Excused" label in your Gradebook for that optional final exam?  How do I use the icons and colors in the Gradebook?

Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!  Be well, and stay safe!

View solution in original post

0 Likes