cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irishb
Explorer

Other schools experiencing delayed notifications for items set to "Notify me right away"?

We have a ticket in with Canvas Support re: one of our faculty sent a message to the class (75 students) via Canvas Conversations at 10:28 AM, with box checked to "Send an individual message to each recipient" (waiting to hear from CS if/what difference that may make), and Canvas Notification emails were not delivered/received until over 4 hours later.

We're wondering if any other schools have experienced this, please.

I'm familiar with the Canvas Notifications PDF and that "Notifications set to Send Right Away may be delayed by one hour" but this delay was over four hours.

And what/where is the "Send Right Away" notification setting? Is it supposed to be the same as "Notify me right away"? Or is this setting at the Admin level?

Also, we're hoping Canvas might consider including the info about the possible hour delay at the user Notification Preferences page, rather than buried in a PDF that's linked to from the "How do I set my Canvas notifications preferences?" guide.

Thanks so much for your time and help with this.

Sincerely,

Bridget Irish

Curricular Technology Support

The Evergreen State College

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We haven't noticed this, but it might be something on your end with your email server. Have you checked to see when the notifications are coming in to your server? I don't actually know anything about stuff like this, but am married to the guy who does at our Institutuon and it seems like that's what he checks first.

@kona ‌

We have seen some issues with our instructors actually.  I know of one instructor at least, who has setup notifications to come right away, and he has seen increasing delays in the delivery.  I tend to think this is an email server issue as well, but it is hard to say at this point.

Jason Schaffer 

One thing to keep in mind. Notifications from Tuesday were delayed due to the Amazon Web Services outage.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

irishb‌, were you ever able to figure this out? Any update?

Hi Kona,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Canvas has mentioned there could be a delay depending on the number of users the communication is going out to, but more like 200-400 students, not 75. They attributed it to a one-off glitch.

Best wishes,

Bridget