cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Outcomes and Mastery Gradebooks

I have added Outcomes at account level and we have then imported these into courses and added them to rubrics. We have enables Mastery gradebooks in these courses, but when we have assessed the outcomes in the rubrics in assignments, the mastery gradebook shows nothing as being assessed, but the traditional default gradebook does. I've read all the Canvas help bits on mastery, outcomes, rubrics and gradebooks but can't work it out. Help please!!

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

clare.dickinson@focus-school.com‌ - I have tried various scenarios in testing out some theories of mine with your question, and so far I have come up blank.  I thought perhaps the timing of when the course feature option of using the Mastery Gradebook made a difference.  (No, it did not matter.)  Perhaps forgetting to enable the "Use this criterion for scoring" option made a difference when importing the outcome into the rubric?  (Nope; so long as the user still clicked the outcome on the rubric.)  You may have to report this to Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) or, if that's not an option on your courses, to your local Canvas support.  This is extremely odd.  In case they have any ideas, I'm sharing this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12?sr=search&searchId=d9207206-6bf4-405a-9d86-db5408e5236e&s...‌ group, who tend to use the Mastery Gradebook more than higher ed folks, such as myself.  If you're not a member, head to the group page and click the Actions drop-down menu, and then Join Group.  

Highlighted

Ken, thank you for your post.  We're trying to piece together Outcomes ourselves for possible use in our primary grades K-5.   So aside from your testing, have you actually used the outcomes?  I'm looking through all these posts trying to find someone using them and that is having success.   Thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, clare.dickinson@focus-school.com...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 17, 2018.  It looks like you received some feedback from kblack@dom.edu, but it may or may not help to answer your question.  Have you had a chance to review the above feedback?  Did either of the responses from Community members help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this topic to provide an update so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity since February 23, 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Clare.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Clare. I had this problem. Which method for assessments are you using? N of times or Decaying Average? I only use those two (you may use the other two). I found that if I use decaying average, the mastery gradebook updates when an assignment is submitted, but if you use N of times and set mastery at a specific level, the mastery gradebook will only show IF the student completes the number of times you have selected and obtained mastery at the level you have set. Not wild about that feature. Not sure if I've helped.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels