cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holley_collier
Surveyor II

Outcomes and Quizzes

I haven't been able to replicate the grading structure for some of our math faculty when using outcomes and quizzes. Here's an example: 

A student completes a quiz. 5 questions within the quiz are generating an outcome score. But each of those 5 questions may be aligned with 3 different outcomes. So when the instructor assigns points to each question, it's giving the same point values to each outcomes aligned with the question. But, when grading by hand, the instructors may not give the same score to each outcome based on how the student answered the question. The student may show mastery in say communication outcome but not mastery in critical thinking outcome. Making sense? 

Is there a way to align 1 quiz question with multiple outcomes, but give a different score for each outcome if needed? Essentially, 1 question could produce 3 different outcome scores. 

Maybe we need to be creating a bank with three different submissions for one question and aligned each submission with a unique outcome? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
judy_harmon
Learner

We've not gotten any answers on this question yet, but I am going to tie in "Using Outcomes on a Quiz" to help relate a couple of ideas together.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@holley_collier ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment. Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie! 

We didn't find the answer, but I did come up with a solution that we are testing this week. 

Instead of aligning an outcome with a question, I created outcomes and titled them with the question they would relate to. I added those to a rubric, and then attached the rubric to the quiz. So we ended up with a very long rubric, but now the instructors can give each question different outcome scores and total a final outcome store. While also providing an final exam score. 🙂  Below is a snip of what part of the rubric looks like. The instructors are happy with it so far, so we will know for sure next week it is works as they hope. 311435_pastedImage_1.png

Hello there,  @holley_collier ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you after you posted your solution.  Did this end up working for you and your instructors?  I was going to mark your above response as "Correct", but I wasn't 100% sure that I should because you had indicated at the time that you'd know more by the following week.  So, it would be interesting to get an update from you.  If you feel that your above response has helped, please consider marking it as "Correct".  However, if you have other questions, please let us know by posting a message below.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since April 25, 2019.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Holley.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.