cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbruce
Community Member

Outcomes without point value on assignment

Jump to solution

This is my first time using Canvas. I am wanting to add outcome(standards) to my assignments. When I add the outcome it adds points to my assignment. I just want to link my standards to my assignment, is using the outcome wrong? I am using a rubric with items I want in my assignment and the point value. How do I get the outcomes linked without the points being added? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @mbruce  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I see that you joined in June, but this appears to be your first participation.

When you add an outcome to a rubric--whether one that you created within a course yourself or adding one from a departmental/school subaccount that you imported into the course--Canvas gives you a checkbox called Use this criterion for scoring that will determine whether you want to use the point value.  This is shown on the screen capture here, just underneath the Import Outcome heading at number 2:  How do I align an outcome with a rubric in a course? 

If you remember to disable that checkbox, even though by all appearances the point value is still added to the rubric that you created, in fact when you save the rubric it will NOT count.  This is an example that I just now did:

244432_sample outcome.jpg

(I blurred out the outcome name because I was "borrowing" one from a subaccount on our test server!)  But the main thing is you HAVE to remember to disable that checkbox!  The reason the point values remain in the rubric itself--though NOT in the Total Points, as you see above--is that if you imported a departmental outcome, you still have click in the rubric itself to indicate if the student met the outcome so that the departmental administrator can still pick up that information when an outcome report is run.

I hope this helps a bit.  If I misunderstood your issue, please let me know!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @mbruce  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I see that you joined in June, but this appears to be your first participation.

When you add an outcome to a rubric--whether one that you created within a course yourself or adding one from a departmental/school subaccount that you imported into the course--Canvas gives you a checkbox called Use this criterion for scoring that will determine whether you want to use the point value.  This is shown on the screen capture here, just underneath the Import Outcome heading at number 2:  How do I align an outcome with a rubric in a course? 

If you remember to disable that checkbox, even though by all appearances the point value is still added to the rubric that you created, in fact when you save the rubric it will NOT count.  This is an example that I just now did:

244432_sample outcome.jpg

(I blurred out the outcome name because I was "borrowing" one from a subaccount on our test server!)  But the main thing is you HAVE to remember to disable that checkbox!  The reason the point values remain in the rubric itself--though NOT in the Total Points, as you see above--is that if you imported a departmental outcome, you still have click in the rubric itself to indicate if the student met the outcome so that the departmental administrator can still pick up that information when an outcome report is run.

I hope this helps a bit.  If I misunderstood your issue, please let me know!

View solution in original post