cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Page Titles and Links to the Page

A few days ago, I started a discussion on Organizing Pages, as a result of which I learned of an existing idea to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7532-allow-folders-in-pages?sr=search&searchId=415024bb-90c4-4.... In the meantime, laurakgibbs confirmed that the best approach to organizing Pages was the use of naming conventions. I then, of course, started renaming some of my Pages consistent with this idea. However, in doing so, I discovered a new challenge. When I changed the name of a Page, all existing links to that Page broke. After a little experimenting, I discovered that I could change titles to Assignments or Quizzes without any effect on links to those Assignments or Quizzes. However, with Pages, the links appear to be driven entirely by the titles. In fact, I could fix the problem by editing the title again to return it to the original. This seems problematic. In this particular instance, it was a hassle, but I now know of the issue. However, when you look at the prominence of the Page title, it occurs to me that there will undoubtedly be times in the future when I will want to change them. And when you consider the significant role of Pages in building a course in Canvas, this seems like a potentially serious problem. Admittedly, I haven't yet encountered the problem, because I am still doing my initial course builds. However, the title seems like a less than ideal way to provide durable links to pages.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, and there are good reasons to tie links to Page titles and easy ways to work around my concerns. If so, I thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions. If not, then perhaps I'll post an idea to address the issue. I look forward to the contributions of others on this issue.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi jgraves@tourolaw.edu‌, at least you have discovered this sooner rather than later, but yes, this is a serious problem with the Pages area. I'm pretty sure there is an Idea (maybe even repeated Ideas) asking for Canvas to do something that people naturally expect from any document management system... let me go find that. Okay, here's a discussion:

Linking pages after changing title / permalink / linking tool? 

And here's a feature request:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1985-update-all-links-when-page-name-changes 

My admittedly cynical take on this is that the areas of Canvas which have nothing to do with grading and the Gradebook are badly neglected. Pages have nothing to do with students getting graded. Ergo, Pages get no love. Same also with Profile pages.

I personally think Canvas could make a huge difference by offering a real content development and management system. That would make the CC-licensing feature (which is great) and the open courses feature (which I love) truly worthwhile. But when I asked about this at Project Khaki last spring, there was apparently no interest in working on the content side of Canvas compared to other kinds of features which are about managing students, grading, etc.

So, like I said in our other discussion, trying to do serious content development inside Canvas is a no-win situation as I see it. Luckily, there are all kinds of great tools out there, and the Canvas openness to LTI and other types of integration make it possible to do content development with real tools and then to give the students access to that content from within Canvas, if that's the goal. Personally, I'm ambivalent about displaying stuff in Canvas myself, but that's just me... I like the wide open spaces of the WWW. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks laurakgibbs. I clearly need to get better at searching existing discussions and ideas. I did, quickly, but missed these. Your reply is very much appreciated. I note that the idea is on radar, but it has also been around for 2 years, so I get your point about content development within Canvas. Then again, maybe I'll be in the right place at the right time. Being first is not always the most productive place to be. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Member

AGREED! And that is what I really like about Canvas Community: I have a lot of faith in the collective wisdom of people who spend all day, every day working, learning, teaching... We just need to make sure we are communicating and connecting so that we can make that collective wisdom loud and clear. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Member

jgraves@tourolaw.edu, I'm just getting started with course design in Canvas and have already come to the conclusion that a page naming scheme would be a good idea. However, I am then daunted by the fact that a scheme that makes sense to me as an instructor won't make sense or won't be appealing or even necessary to the students who encounter these pages.

The problem comes because a module containing a Page displays the page title. Changing the title of the page is reflected here, and editing the "module" title is really just editing the page.

I'm working on a list of pages that work to meet the standards of the Quality Matters initiative. In my mind, naming those pages something like "QM: Technical Support Resources" makes sense, using the QM part to distinguish this page from another I might call "Lab Technical Support Resources". However, the student viewing that page only needs to see "Technical Support Resources" in whichever context it belongs.

What do you use as a page naming convention? What do you like best about it? ...and worst?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, aaron.bahmer@ewc.wy.edu. It sounds like you ran into the same frustrations with the Pages naming function I did. Bottom line, the Page name serves too many roles, some of which conflict with the others. I don't really like the Page naming convention as an organizational tool, as it often conflicts with the name I want to present to students (as you observe). I just do this for lack of any better current alternative. However, my understanding is that the issue may soon be addressed (it's on Radar) by allowing you to organize Pages within a folder structure like the one currently available for Files. Thus, you could put all of your QM Pages into a QM folder, but name them in whatever manner best suited your purposes in communicating content to students. If this sounds like a good idea to you, vote here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7532-allow-folders-in-pages?sr=search&searchId=b148b545-67e6-4....

Highlighted
Community Member

Oh, I voted when I came across your first posting about pages! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

hmmmm

james

0 Kudos
Labels