cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darmstrong
Surveyor

Page Views

Jump to solution

I was looking into a student's page views in my course. It said unrecognized browser. What does that mean?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

ericwerth‌ and  @darmstrong ‌, since I posted that reply (in 2015!) the way user views on mobile are recorded has changed: mobile views are now specifically identified as mobile activity.  How do I view the page views for a user in an account? provides examples.

David, your best bet would be to ask Canvas Support if they are able to shed more light on what "Unrecognized browser" means in this instance; a support agent can look more deeply into the metadata around a student's activity and might be able to give you a specific answer (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌).

Good luck, David! Stay safe, and be well. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @darmstrong   I see that stefaniesanders mentioned something about this here, Track whether students used desktop or mobile browser 

"However, you can tell whether the user has accessed the page through the Canvas mobile app on a mobile device. To test this further, I accessed the same pages through the mobile app for iOS. The browser listed for those page views is "Unrecognized Browser"--and that's the tipoff that the user has used the mobile app."

Hope this helps!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

ericwerth‌ and  @darmstrong ‌, since I posted that reply (in 2015!) the way user views on mobile are recorded has changed: mobile views are now specifically identified as mobile activity.  How do I view the page views for a user in an account? provides examples.

David, your best bet would be to ask Canvas Support if they are able to shed more light on what "Unrecognized browser" means in this instance; a support agent can look more deeply into the metadata around a student's activity and might be able to give you a specific answer (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌).

Good luck, David! Stay safe, and be well. 

View solution in original post

Thanks for the update stefaniesanders   @darmstrong  if you talk to Support and get an idea of what could be causing this issue, will you please post back and let us all know since the question comes up from time-to-time?

All the best!