cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minassn
Surveyor

Page copy feature is dangerous! There needs to be a warning.

I wanted to copy a page from a previous course into my current course so I accessed the past course, located the page and used the copy to feature to copy it. There was a page with the same name on my current shell so I figured Canvas would either:

1. Ask if I wanted to replace the current page
  2. Copy it using a new page with "copy" appended to it

It did neither. It just replaced my current page without any warning. Thankfully that was my intention so it didn't cause any issues but that may not always be the intention.

There should be a "are you sure you want to replace" warning.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @minassn ...

Thanks for posting your message.  In taking a look at this Guide, How do I copy a page to another course? - Canvas Community, one of the last bullet points in the "Notes" section of the blue box at the top of the page says, "If you copy the same page to the same course more than once, the page you previously copied will be overwritten with the newly copied page."  So, if I am interpreting this correctly, the behavior that you describe seems to be "by design".  But, I do agree with you that some kind of warning message would be a nice enhancement.

Would you consider submitting this as a Feature Idea here in the Community?  If you wanted to do that, from any page here in the Community, you can click on the PRODUCT menu and then select IDEA CONVERSATIONS.  On the screen that appears, click on the "Suggest an idea" button.  Use these Guides as you form your Feature Idea:

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.