Parent Observer--Permissions

Jump to solution
truehle
Community Member

I am a teacher and just today learned that parents can enroll themselves as observers without notification to teachers.  (Other teachers and admin support were also not aware of this ability.) Being an observer is not an issue; we just didn't realize parents could do this on their own. 

My concern is what the parents have access to.  Are they able to see the canvas home page just like the students?  If so, are they able to click on the sidebar menus as well as any posted links for webex?  Although it is possible for parents to observe the class via the student's webex, they are not supposed to login to the classroom.  Does being an observer provide that ability?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @truehle 

First and foremost, users to not log into Canvas courses, the log into Canvas, and then see the courses they are enrolled in. What they see and can interact with when they go to a course is based on their permissions. Your school's Canvas Admin can set Observer permissions at the account level. This guide can better inform your Admin on the permissions available, and what they mean: Canvas Course Role Permissions PDF. This guide will show your admin how to adjust those permissions: How do I set permissions for a course-level role in Canvas?

Your Canvas Admin also has the ability to not permit observers.

You can learn more about the observer role at What is the Observer Role?

You might also find the follow PDF useful: Observer Visibility and Participation PDF

As you can see, schools have considerable control over observers!

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes