cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Partial Credit for Matching Questions?

Why can't students receive partial credit on the New Quizzes "Matching" questions?  If I have a series of questions on historical figures and the students match 4 of the 5 historical figures....they should get 4 of 5 points in the section.  It should not be an "All or Nothing" scenario.  At least give us an option....... 

14 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Several question formats migrated from Classic Quizzes no longer support features in the classic quizzes.  Partial credit is just one of them.  I do not understand why new quizzes lacks features in the old quizzes.   Hopefully this is just an oversight and can be fixed quickly without too many other problem.

Categorization questions are also like this and need to be fixed ASAP!!!

Highlighted
Surveyor

We changed to Canvas from Blackboard. Some aspects of Canvas are quite refreshing, but there are a number of inadequacies with Canvas and this is one of them!

Please sort this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Getting ready to give a Unit Test with several matching sections. Since partial credit is obviously not working, which option lends itself to more user-friendly grade adjustment: classic quizzes or new quizzes?

I know that I will have to go one-by-one through the tests and adjust scores, just want to make sure I'm making my job as easy as possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The workaround I have found as of now, but it's far from perfect, is to create the questions as fill-in-the-blanks with dropdown menus or wordbanks*. Fill-ins do give partial credit.

It could look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.42.29 AM.png

*A note about wordbanks: When you're making the quiz, it'll ask you to write at least two options for each blank, one correct and one incorrect. It will then place all of those at the bottom of the question to be dragged and dropped into the correct blank. However, if the student clicks on the blank, a dropdown appears with just the options for that blank. If you write 10 questions with 2 options (1 correct, 1 incorrect) for each blank, you end up with 20 words at the bottom, but if a student clicks on a particular blank, they'll only see the two options assigned to that blank. We think this is because drag-and-drop doesn't work on mobile. The workaround for this is just to be sure to have 3 or 4 valid options for each. Many students won't realize they can click for a more limited list.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.43.52 AM.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yep, I ended up converting all of my matching questions to fill in the blank.  Now that I am getting more comfortable with REGEX I am making decent progress,  but we should not have to do that.  The "New" quizzes should not be less functional than the "Old" quizzes.

0 Kudos