cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Passing grades from Canvas to PeopleSoft

Hello! We are in the early stages of setting up a process to transfer final grades from Canvas into PeopleSoft. I was just looking for input on who has done this and which route they took. What did you use to accomplish this? Any sharing of your experiences of what worked and what didn't work would be greatly appreciated. 

I just would rather not spin my wheels on something that has been proven not to be a good route to take.

Thank you!

Matt Gindt
Senior Systems Analyst - DBA
Enterprise Application Management
Northcentral Technical College
1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401
715.803.1117 | gindt@ntc.edu

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer III

Hi Matt,

We are in the middle of a project to do this right now.  I'm not really involved on the development side (or the PeopleSoft side!), but I can give you an overview of the way our process works:

First, within Canvas, students are all enrolled in a section within a course that corresponds to a section in PeopleSoft.  This allows us to do cross-listings and course merges in Canvas while preserving the section identification to pass grades back to PeopleSoft.

The way the workflow goes is that on the grade roster for a course section in PeopleSoft, instructors have a "Retrieve grades from Canvas" button.   If they click that, there's a call made to the Canvas Enrollments API ( Enrollments - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation ) to retrieve all the enrollments for the section.

The enrollment record includes several different grades, including "current" and "final" grades, as well as the new "override" grade.  I think we're using "current grade", but I'm not positive.  Anyway, that grades for all the students are retrieved from Canvas and displayed as a percentage (as it comes from Canvas), and is populated into a column for the instructor to see.  

If the instructor has set up a grading schema in Canvas to assign a letter grade, then we fill in a grade column with that letter grade, and that is what's set to be passed to PeopleSoft.  If they did not set up a schema in Canvas, then the grade column is left blank for them to select a letter based on the percentage that is pulled over from Canvas.  

Once they are satisfied with the grades shown in the grade column, they can post the grades to PeopleSoft.

Instructors can retrieve grades from Canvas as many times as they want, and post them to PS as many times as they want during grading period.  A log is kept of all the grades that are posted through that form, so instructors (and admins) can review any changes that have been made.

There is some error checking, of course.  At the end of the page, there is a warning about students who are listed in the PS roster that do not appear in Canvas, and vice versa.  Also, if there are restrictions on the grade letter values that can be entered in PS for that section, those restrictions are checked before the grade from Canvas is displayed.

Does that help?

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Has your university completed this project?  If so, do you have any instructions, documentation or code you would be willing to share with us so can try to do the same?

--
Kind regards,
Dennis Hood
Senior Manager, Learning Management Systems
Princeton University

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Dennis,

Yes, we've finished the project, and the instructors are pretty happy with it.

Our biggest challenge, I think, was trying to be sure that we were selecting the best "total" column from the multiple ones available that best reflected what instructors were expecting to see.  

The other piece was getting instructors used to using grading schemas, but once they did, it helped simplify things for them quite a bit.

We also decided not to enable the manual override grade in Canvas.  It wouldn't be that much trouble to add the logic to handle it in the extract process, but the implementation within the grade book itself was too confusing.  Instructors have the option manually override any grades before final submission in PeopleSoft anyway.

A lot of the coding was done on the Peoplesoft side, since we implemented as a pull in Peoplesoft from Canvas.  I'll see if there's any specific code that we can share, but I can certainly share the kind of documentation that we give to faculty if is would help:https://www.unomaha.edu/registrar/_documents/how-to-import-grades-from-canvas.pdf 

Mike

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, gindt@ntc.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 28, 2019.  It looks like mzimmerman@unomaha.edu was able to respond to you later that afternoon.  Have you had an opportunity to review Michael's feedback that he provided to you?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this topic?  If you feel that Michael's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your original question, please come back to this topic and post a message below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Matt.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos