cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Peer Review and Deadlines

Jump to solution

Am I right that when I set up a peer review assignment that I only indicate the date and time when the student uploads the work and when the assignment distribution to reviewers occurs? I was trying to set an ending time/date for the peer review (e.g. finish peer review by noon on March 12th), but I don't see a way to do that. Am I missing it? 

Many thanks!

Teeka

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thanks to all of your feedback, I am confident that I fully understand how Canvas's peer review works now. Daniel is right: the deadline is for the submission of the draft. You cannot set a deadline for completing the peer review, only a start date for when drafts are distributed for review. Late submitters can be assigned work to review, but the instructor has to go in and do it manually. (Go to the peer review page for the assignment and click the "assign reviews" button [I think that's what it says on the button].)

I just finished our second round of peer response with two classes last week. Students had a hard time figuring out when they were supposed to actually do the review. It doesn't pop up on their to do lists as an assignment, for example. It seems like the peer review was set up as a nice thing for students to do to help each other, but not as a credit-earning assignment--which is really too bad for English teachers, who routinely use peer review as a mandatory part of essay assignments.

---tj

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi james@smccd.edu.  You are not missing anything.  Currently there is no way to set a due date for peer reviews.  Two ideas I have read for working around this are to indicate in the directions when peer reviews are due or to create another assignment altogether for the peer reviews with clear directions and a due date set.  There is an idea that would cover this currently in product radar, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1294-have-two-due-dates-for-peer-review-assignments .  If you haven't already done so, you might find reading through this interesting.  This idea in one form or another has come up often, so I am hopeful that the functionality will be available in the future.

Best wishes!

Highlighted
Surveyor

They absolutely need to set up a deadline for the peer review.  Right.  There's a deadline for the student to submit his or her work, then a deadline for students to complete and submit their peer reviews.  Hard to imagine why they created this option without including that in the first place! 

Highlighted
Surveyor

Also, One should be able to let students start on peer reviews before the assignment due date!  That way, a student can start on her peer reviews as soon as she and at least one other student have submitted their assignments for review, even if before the deadline.  I think I'm just going to have to find another way to do peer reviews, as Canvas shows no effort--in at least three years--to fix something so fundamental to the teaching of so many.  

Highlighted

Hello daniel.clark@mvc.edu.  I am not a heavy user of peer reviews currently, but reading this document suggests that if you set peer reviews to be assigned automatically they will be sent to an individual once another student has submitted their assigned and before the assignment deadline.

How do I automatically assign peer reviews for an assignment? 

Have you experienced something different? If so it would be worth bringing this to the attention of Canvas support so they can determine if a bug has developed.

Best wishes--

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI Eric, No, as far as I can see that's not how it works. The "deadline" is for the original submission, not for the peer reviews. Peer review settings stipulate that the assignment of peer reviewers will occur at the deadline for original submission. You have the option of delaying the assignment of those peer reviews, but not of setting it earlier (so that students who submit their work before deadline can start reviewing and getting reviewed immediately.)

And I just discovered a new glitch. Students who submit their essay for review late are not assigned reviewers. Oh, but wait. Maybe the late submitters will get a review assignment if I set the assignment for review to after the deadline. I'll try that. But then it's a moving targetI would have to keep resetting that release time as the essays trickle in. But this might be a motivatorget your assignment in on time, or you don't get it reviewed and you don't get credit for reviewing others.

Best, Dan

Daniel H. Clark, Ph.D.

Professor of English

Professional Development Coordinator

Moreno Valley College

951-571-6183

Highlighted

Thanks to all of your feedback, I am confident that I fully understand how Canvas's peer review works now. Daniel is right: the deadline is for the submission of the draft. You cannot set a deadline for completing the peer review, only a start date for when drafts are distributed for review. Late submitters can be assigned work to review, but the instructor has to go in and do it manually. (Go to the peer review page for the assignment and click the "assign reviews" button [I think that's what it says on the button].)

I just finished our second round of peer response with two classes last week. Students had a hard time figuring out when they were supposed to actually do the review. It doesn't pop up on their to do lists as an assignment, for example. It seems like the peer review was set up as a nice thing for students to do to help each other, but not as a credit-earning assignment--which is really too bad for English teachers, who routinely use peer review as a mandatory part of essay assignments.

---tj

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I completely agree.  The peer review function is not helpful for writing courses, where peer review before assignments is common!  It's a real problem in my classes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer II

I agree that the peer review feature in canvas need a overhaul. Now it only kind of "works" with small scale courses (few students). At our institution we actively recommend lecturers not to utilize peer review in Canvas in courses with 30+ students, where this issue is one of the reasons. I made a feature idea some time a go that didn't get much traction: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9218 

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi james@smccd.edu. There are lots of us who would love this feature built into Canvas. You might consider voting on these two suggestions:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8154-add-due-date-for-completing-peer-review?sr=search&searchI...

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1294-have-two-due-dates-for-peer-review-assignments?sr=search&...

If they get enough votes, maybe Canvas will implement them!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels