cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarah_renfrow
Surveyor II

Peer reviews of group assignments

Jump to solution

Is there a way to set up peer reviews of group assignments rather than of individual students?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Yes,  @sarah_renfrow ‌, you can set up an assignment as a group assignment and then choose between assigning reviews within the group or outside of the groups. Scroll down near the bottom of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2657 to see how to do that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Yes,  @sarah_renfrow ‌, you can set up an assignment as a group assignment and then choose between assigning reviews within the group or outside of the groups. Scroll down near the bottom of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2657 to see how to do that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks.

The documentation suggests that we can have a group assignment, where 1 member of each group submits an assignment. Then the Peer review system would allow automatic allocation of assignment submissions from all groups, across to all students.

But is there a way to do this:

Say I have 5 groups in my group assignment, submission is great.

Then for Peer review, it'd be done by group as well; and each group to review 2 other group's assignments

So for example, (the allocation would be done automatically or manually)

Group 1 might be allocated with Group 3 and Group 5's assignments to review.

Group 2 might be allocated with Group 1 and 4's assignments to review.

Group 3 might be allocated with Group 1 and 5

etc

Is this feature supported by Canvas currently?

As the way I understand how it works, all peer review are done as an individual assignment, not a group assignment. While that's great and works in some situations, but not in other situations.

Thanks.

Hello

As I see it it, it is not groups who are the peers.
There are no group-names in the peer review screen.

The submissions are done by groups, but the peer reviews are from one person to another.

OR is it this way:
If we have groups of 4 students. 1 Student submit on behalf of the group.
Even if the 3 other group-members are listed in the peer review screen by their names and not by the group-name - the document that are reviewed are the groups work submitted by student nr. 1.

This could actually work, even if it is really confusing that it shows only persons names and no groups names in the peer review screen (where the peers are assigned)

I would be very happy if anyone could enlighten me on this question.

AND

What does "Allow intra-group peer reviews" means?
Will a student get peers from both outside and inside their own group?
Or will they get peers only from their own group?
PS
Peers from their own group makes sense only if the assignment is set to "Individual grading" 
It does not make sense for a student to review a submission identical to their own submission.

Best regards

Arild Flobak

That is not the solution to this question.

arild_a_flobak
Learner

This question still stands un-aswered as far as i can see. 11/11-2020

I have this problem for years, too.

I think it should be a standard option for group assignments nowadays but it seems to be that Canvas can not deliver this option. We should change to a different e-learning platform.