cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dearborna
Community Member

Permission request - free teacher account

Jump to solution

Can I get permission to pair students with observers? I would like to be able to have parents set up accounts to see student progress, etc, but do not seem to be able to get this permission with my free teacher account.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dearborna ~

I believe that teachers are unable to link students to their observers. However, you should be able to generate the pairing code on behalf of the student. (How do I generate a pairing code for an observer as an instructor?‌)

You can then communicate home with instructions on how to use those pairing codes to connect with their Observer account. Parent App How-To Guides‌ would be a great start as you create handouts for your families. Another good reference is the video that  @peytoncraighill ‌ created that walks people through making and using pairing codes. He even features Canvas Parent.

I also think that https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12132-mass-create-pairing-codes would be of interest to you! I encourage you to vote and to comment. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

2 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dearborna ~

I believe that teachers are unable to link students to their observers. However, you should be able to generate the pairing code on behalf of the student. (How do I generate a pairing code for an observer as an instructor?‌)

You can then communicate home with instructions on how to use those pairing codes to connect with their Observer account. Parent App How-To Guides‌ would be a great start as you create handouts for your families. Another good reference is the video that  @peytoncraighill ‌ created that walks people through making and using pairing codes. He even features Canvas Parent.

I also think that https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12132-mass-create-pairing-codes would be of interest to you! I encourage you to vote and to comment. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

pjunge
Community Member

I too would like to be able to add parents as observers to my class, but the pairing code option isn't available. Is that not available for teachers with a "free for teachers" account? Thanks!