cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Permissions for Teaching Assistants

Would anyone be willing to share how they have set up the course role permissions for Teaching Assistants, at the account level? Our old LMS came with a standard TA permission set, that exuded access to certain items in order to remain FERPA compliant. I like how Canvas allows some flexibility, but curious how other schools handle this. Our current role is based off the standard Teacher role, with some exclusions. What are yours?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jenny_hopf@williamjames.edu,

We have left the default permissions for TAs.  The only thing that TAs can't do is add additional users to a course.  What FERPA issues are you trying to stay compliant with?  Our Teaching Assistants are considered supplemental instructors and are therefore covered under FERPA.

Robbie

Highlighted

Thanks Robbie!  Our students are considered supplemental instructors as well and sign a FERPA agreement prior to coming on board, so I think for the most part we are covered. I was curious about what actual limits Admins placed on the role, outside of what students may on paper agree to in the FERPA policy. Not adding additional users to the course is a helpful tip -- thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jenny Hopf,

We address the FERPA issue prior to Canvas account creation and 'role' assignment. As part of our hiring process, ALL faculty and staff that interact with students and/or student records are required to go through FERPA training and sign off on the same for our institutions records. This allows us to take full advantage of Canvas' ability to hand craft roles to meet our many unique requirements.

Highlighted

Thank you, Earl! Sounds like we're doing something similar to what you folks do. Much appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jenny_hopf@williamjames.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

This is interesting to me as an instructor. Our college disallows TAs (who are mostly student volunteers) access to any submitted assignment data for FERPA compliance. I would love to have my TAs be able to mark credit/no credit submissions on Canvas as they used to, but there is no way I can think of to give them access to SpeedGrader without access to the Gradebook.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels