Personal pronouns in profile could be more inclusive

Jam_Shego
Community Member

Hello! My name is Jamie Shegogue and I am a current sophomore in college. After speaking with a bunch of my peers, I saw an issue that I felt needed to be brought up.

It has come to my attention that in one user’s Canvas profile, they are only allowed to choose one set of pronouns to display. I am writing on behalf of a couple of my peers who identify as genderqueer or genderfluid and use multiple different sets of pronouns, to say that Canvas should allow for a user to select as many pronouns as they would like to be displayed with their name. I think it is incredible that Canvas has created a way for everyone to share their pronouns, but there is always room for more inclusion. Here is what I propose:

1. User should be able to choose as many pronouns as they would like to be displayed with their name (ie. Jamie Shegogue (she/her, they/them))
  2. The addition of the following pronouns (In addition to he/him, she/hers, and they/them):
    1. ze/hir/hirs
    2. ze/zir/zirs
    3. xe/xem/xyrs
  3. The addition of a write-in option for those who do not identify with any of the pronouns Canvas has supplied. Users should be able to add their personal pronoun. I understand that this may be tricky as some may take advantage of this write-in, but this step is necessary in promoting a safe environment for all people.

Pronouns are a massive part of one’s identity; they are an extension of our own names. Using someone’s correct personal pronouns is a way to respect them and create an inclusive environment, just as using a person’s name can be a way to respect them. It can be so invalidating to a persons identity when their pronouns are often forgotten or left out, and so I thank you for reading this note in its entirety.

I hope you will consider my suggestions.

Sincerely,

Jamie Shegogue

Labels (1)