cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gimena_sierra
Community Member

Personalized message

Hello, I want to know if you can send a personalized message to each user. Like a mail merge. 

Tags (1)
2 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @gimena_sierra and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I am not aware of any way that messages can be created with the same functionality as mail merge, where particular fields of the message are automatically populated with student names or other information.

Through the Inbox, when you choose a course to message there is an option to send an individual message to each participant (see below).  This doesn't however create a message where in a particular location, individual student names, etc. are added.  You can also send individual messages to students.  This document has more information on use of the Inbox, How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as an instructor? 

268905_pastedImage_1.png

If I need to send messages to students individually but want to make it more personalized (Inbox, SpeedGrader, etc.) what I normally do is compose this in Word and then copy/paste it where I am messaging students.  Then I change the name or other data manually before sending.

I hope this helps!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @gimena_sierra ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 23, 2018.  It looks like ericwerth provided some good feedback for you later that morning.  Although what you would ultimately like to do is not possible within Canvas, did Eric's response help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your original question that we can help you with?  If you feel that Eric has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you further.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite some time.  However, please know that this won't stop you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Gimena.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.