cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Picking your own youtube videos

Jump to solution

I am able to link to youtube videos to assignments and pages.  I have been using the search bar that is in the edit bar.  Sometimes I don't like the videos that are provided and I want to choose my own.  I have tried two times and I was overridden by the youtube videos that were suggested by canvas.  

Is there a work around to link the exact youtube video that you choose?

Thanks,

Lisa

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi lnussdorfer@napavalley.edu

I always first search in Youtube to find the video I want and search for its name and use the exact name.  If that fails to find it in Canvas,  I copy the youtube code after the = sign in the URL   eg ....ube.com/watch?v=FShaurpinA  and I put that in the Canvas Youtube search bar (dont include the + sign or anything before it).  That finds the exact youtube I want 99% of the time.

Hope that helps

Isobel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi lnussdorfer@napavalley.edu

I always first search in Youtube to find the video I want and search for its name and use the exact name.  If that fails to find it in Canvas,  I copy the youtube code after the = sign in the URL   eg ....ube.com/watch?v=FShaurpinA  and I put that in the Canvas Youtube search bar (dont include the + sign or anything before it).  That finds the exact youtube I want 99% of the time.

Hope that helps

Isobel

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you.  I will do that next time.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

lnussdorfer@napavalley.edu...

I'm not a huge fan of using the YouTube LTI tool in the RCE (Rich Content Editor) to search for YouTube videos I want to insert into a content page within Canvas...mainly because the output of videos displays black bars above and below the video...which, in my opinion, are completely unnecessary.  I much prefer to visit YouTube's website, search for the video, and then click on the SHARE button directly below the video.  Then, you will see an option for EMBED which will let you harvest (copy) the embed code via Ctrl+C (CMD+C on a mac) and then paste it in to Canvas.

In Canvas, in the page you are editing, place your cursor where you want to place the video, and then click on the Insert/Edit Media icon (looks like a little movie film strip), and then click on the Embed tab.  Paste in the embed code you harvested from the YouTube video, and then click Ok.  Your YouTube video will appear without the black bars above and below...therefore reducing (just slightly) the amount of potential scrolling on your screen.

This Guide has more information for you: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12889-415241505 

Hope this helps, Lisa.