cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smaltzie
Community Member

Points or Percentage?

Jump to solution

I have weighted categories and want to drop the two lowest grades in one of them. Since some of the assignments currently have lower point values (10 vs 30) my question is, does Canvas drop the two lowest point totals (e.g. the two 10 point assignments) or the two lowest by percentage?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hi Scott,

According to the document atHow do I create rules for an assignment group?  Canvas drops the one that will help the student the most:

Dropping scores is based on the impact to the total points for that assignment group. In some cases, the point value may be considered more important than percentage score when determining which assignment to drop. For example, if a student earns 100% on a 50-point assignment, 65% on a 100-point assignment, and 50% on a 24-point assignment, the student’s total score is 127 out of 174 points, or 73% for the assignment group. If an instructor sets a rule to drop the assignment with the lowest score in the assignment group, Canvas will drop the score that gives the student a better total score for the group. Even though the 50% score is the lowest percentage, the assignment with the 65% score will be dropped, giving the student a score of 62 out of 74 points, or an 84%, for the assignment group.

So, it might be different depending on the specific scores.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hi Scott,

According to the document atHow do I create rules for an assignment group?  Canvas drops the one that will help the student the most:

Dropping scores is based on the impact to the total points for that assignment group. In some cases, the point value may be considered more important than percentage score when determining which assignment to drop. For example, if a student earns 100% on a 50-point assignment, 65% on a 100-point assignment, and 50% on a 24-point assignment, the student’s total score is 127 out of 174 points, or 73% for the assignment group. If an instructor sets a rule to drop the assignment with the lowest score in the assignment group, Canvas will drop the score that gives the student a better total score for the group. Even though the 50% score is the lowest percentage, the assignment with the 65% score will be dropped, giving the student a score of 62 out of 74 points, or an 84%, for the assignment group.

So, it might be different depending on the specific scores.

Mike

View solution in original post

Thanks. It sounds like it will do what I want then. It is a lot more robust than I imagined.

Scott

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>