cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric_orton
Surveyor

Posting modules with outcomes and question banks to Commons

Jump to solution

We are migrating from another LMS. In that LMS, I have a master course that contains modules used to build other courses, so that I am able to more easily maintain these derivative courses by making content and assessment edits only in the master. I am trying to do the same thing in Canvas by sharing modules from a master course privately to Commons, and then loading these modules from Commons into various other courses. The problem I am having is that these modules are tied to outcomes and contain quizzes that pull questions from banks aligned to these outcomes. They work great in the master, but when the modules come through Commons into the other courses, the outcomes and banks don't come through (so of course the quizzes have no questions).

I can put the entire master course on Commons, pull it into the other courses, and then delete the modules I don't need in those courses. Then, the outcomes and banks work fine. But, if I make edits in the master and update the derivatives from Commons, all the content I had deleted as unnecessary in a particular course comes back again -- not cool.

Is there a way to put modules on Commons such that my outcomes, test banks, and alignments are preserved when they are brought into another course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I did find a method that, while inelegant, seems like it will work. I wrap the module (for example, "Polynomials" or "Quadratic Equations") inside a course (which contains just that module) and push this to Commons. Because Commons sees it as a course, all the banks, outcome alignments, etc. in the module are preserved. Let's call these module-courses. Then, I create another course (for example, "Algebra II"), import multiple such module-courses into it, create any items that were not part of a module (such as midterm and final exams -- drawing from banks in all the imported modules), and then push this course to Commons. We'll call this a master course. Then, to create individual sections derived from this master, I create new courses and import the content from the master course in Commons.

The idea is that the "Polynomials" and "Quadratic Equation" module-courses are used in multiple master courses (not only in "Algebra II") and each master course has multiple sections derived from it. Updating is easier because, if I need to change something in the "Polynomials" module, I can update there, push to Commons, pull from Commons into the "Algebra II" master course (and any other master course that includes it), push that to Commons, and then pull from there into all sections of Algebra II.

It's a bit cumbersome, but a lot better than having to maintain the content in several places.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @eric_orton ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here in the Canvas Community unanswered for almost two months without any responses.  While I don't necessarily have an answer for you (though I did read through your question, and my gut tells me "no"...yet, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong), I wanted to check in with you to see if you've had any success in finding an answer on your own since you first posted this question on April 3rd.  If you've come up with a solution, would you be willing to share it back here with members of the Canvas Community?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please let us know that, too.  I am going to share your question with someone from Instructure in hopes that you'll get a more formal answer to your question.  I hope this will be helpful to you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Eric!

I did find a method that, while inelegant, seems like it will work. I wrap the module (for example, "Polynomials" or "Quadratic Equations") inside a course (which contains just that module) and push this to Commons. Because Commons sees it as a course, all the banks, outcome alignments, etc. in the module are preserved. Let's call these module-courses. Then, I create another course (for example, "Algebra II"), import multiple such module-courses into it, create any items that were not part of a module (such as midterm and final exams -- drawing from banks in all the imported modules), and then push this course to Commons. We'll call this a master course. Then, to create individual sections derived from this master, I create new courses and import the content from the master course in Commons.

The idea is that the "Polynomials" and "Quadratic Equation" module-courses are used in multiple master courses (not only in "Algebra II") and each master course has multiple sections derived from it. Updating is easier because, if I need to change something in the "Polynomials" module, I can update there, push to Commons, pull from Commons into the "Algebra II" master course (and any other master course that includes it), push that to Commons, and then pull from there into all sections of Algebra II.

It's a bit cumbersome, but a lot better than having to maintain the content in several places.

View solution in original post

Hi  @eric_orton 

Slick use of existing functionality. Thanks for sharing!

The only thing I would add is that if the "Module Course" were to be shared beyond its creator, then very logical naming, and a clear description would need to be included.

Awesome!

Kelley

Hi  @eric_orton ‌...

Checking in with you again.  Thanks for posting the solution that you've come up with.  I think, for now, I'm going to mark your answer as "Correct" since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since early June.  But, if someone comes up with another workable solution, we can always update the answer accordingly if need be.  I hope this is okay with you.  Thanks again!