cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Power Point Presentation Upload Discussion Board

How can I upload a power point presentation into the discussion board?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello mcardenas@hunterbuildings.com Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Are you an instructor or a student?  This will help so that we know best how to help you.  And, can you describe how you are using this PowerPoint with your discussion topic.  Are you just wanting to post it to share with others?  If you are a student, are you posting it as part of an discussion topic assignment that you instructor has assigned to you and your classmates?  If you could please provide some more detail, that would help.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Member

HI chofer@morainepark.edu‌,

I have a similar question and can add some additional context.  My case study is for an online Marketing class.  I have the students work on a final project presentation of a marketing plan and I'd like them to upload the final presentation to a discussion assignment so the other students can view the presentation and ask questions, provide comments, etc.  Ideally, I'd like to have them upload a video, but for those students that don't have the video screen recording/editing skills, I find the PowerPoint Recording to a PPT Show fairly easy  (i.e, saving the file as a PPTX).

Testing out the Discussion posting capability as a student, however, I am able to upload the PPTX file via Office365 (which all of our students have), however, when I click on the file link, the PowerPoint file is loaded with the video/audio thumbnail, but it doesn't play like a regular Powerpoint Show does.  What happens is there is a video control box in the slide, but I have to play that separately and "click" thru the PPT for animations, slide changes, etc.

Is there a better way to upload this file into the Discussion reply so other students and view and comment? Or is there another way to do this type of assignment altogether?

Looking for any suggestions.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi glenaz@tulane.edu...

Well, to be honest, I'm not too sure.  From what I'm reading in your reply, it sounds like you are inserting a link to a PowerPoint presentation that you have saved in your Office 365 account?  Is that PowerPoint presentation just a link inside your Canvas course?  Or, is it actually embedded in your course?  I don't know a ton about the O365 integration with Canvas, but I do have it installed in my own sandbox course.  I tried creating a link to a PowerPoint presentation on a Canvas page, and when I clicked on the link, it opened up a new tab where I saw some basic controls at the bottom of the screen to go forward/back ... and then also some options at the bottom corners of the screen, but that was about it.  Have you considered not using O365 and just uploading the PowerPoint file to your "Files" area of the course and then linking to it that way?  Students can then click on the icon next to the link you created to preview the presentation "in line" with the rest of the content using the DocViewer.  Ultimately, your students may need to download a copy of the file you're providing to them if you have sound/animations/etc. in your slides...as sometimes that stuff doesn't work when you put it online.

Not really sure if any of this has been helpful to you, but I hope it has.  Thanks...

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.  I'll see if I can add the link as you suggested thru the files, but I'm looking for a way for students to submit a file thru discussion assignments so they can review each other's presentation and provide questions/comments through the discussion board.  Is the file link capability available for them as well?  I'll test out your suggestion and let you know my success or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi chofer@morainepark.edu,

I think I might have resolved my problem.  I didn't realize there was a setting for allowing attachments to discussion questions that had to be set for the entire Discussion area (not a setting in each discussion post).  I've enabled students to add attachments, and they can now simply attach the Powerpoint Show (PPSX) file and other students can download and it will start playing immediately.  I don't think I (as an instructor) or students can embed them in Canvas, but this attachment option is sufficient for what I'm trying to achieve.  Thanks for the initial suggestion that led me to find this solution.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels