cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Practice Quizzes to Alleviate Student Stress

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: ​Anyone using Practice quizzes to alleviate student stress

We have an instructor who wants to give multiple choice quizzes, have them auto graded and be able to see the students grades easily.  Perfect- use the grade book right? However, he just wants to use them as benchmarks and not have the students panic if they are low scorers, they don't count towards the actual grade. If we mute, the students don't get the results. does anyone have a good workaround?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

hallmans, tdelillo@alamo.edu​'s suggestion to use practice quizzes is a great one. Another approach would be to use a weighted assignment group system as the course grading scheme, create the multiple choice quizzes as regular graded quizzes (with multiple attempts, if desired), and place all of the low-to-no-impact quizzes in an assignment group that contributes 0% of the course grade. This would be useful if the instructor would like to see the quiz results displayed in the Gradebook.

I've adopted a similar approach by assigning practice-like quizzes that address the "remembering" level of the cognitive taxonomy. These quizzes have grade consequence, but I've minimized it by placing 16 quizzes in an assignment group that contributes 5% of the overall course grade, allowing unlimited attempts, and putting a grading rule on the assignment group that drops the two lowest scores. I also make sure to explain this to students so they don't panic about low scores or missing one or two of the quizzes.

You can read more about weighting assignment groups and grading rules here:

How do I weight the final course grade based on Assignment Groups?

How do I create rules for an Assignment Group?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Is he using the practice quiz option? If so, it should be showing them the score without giving them an actual grade. See this guide: What are the different types of Quizzes?​ and this one: How do I view Practice Quiz results?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hallmans​...

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to let you know that I'm going to shorten your topic title just a bit and then also tag your message with keywords.  I'm doing this so that it is easier for people to search for if they have similar questions.  If the shortened title doesn't reflect the body of your message, we can edit it again.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

hallmans, tdelillo@alamo.edu​'s suggestion to use practice quizzes is a great one. Another approach would be to use a weighted assignment group system as the course grading scheme, create the multiple choice quizzes as regular graded quizzes (with multiple attempts, if desired), and place all of the low-to-no-impact quizzes in an assignment group that contributes 0% of the course grade. This would be useful if the instructor would like to see the quiz results displayed in the Gradebook.

I've adopted a similar approach by assigning practice-like quizzes that address the "remembering" level of the cognitive taxonomy. These quizzes have grade consequence, but I've minimized it by placing 16 quizzes in an assignment group that contributes 5% of the overall course grade, allowing unlimited attempts, and putting a grading rule on the assignment group that drops the two lowest scores. I also make sure to explain this to students so they don't panic about low scores or missing one or two of the quizzes.

You can read more about weighting assignment groups and grading rules here:

How do I weight the final course grade based on Assignment Groups?

How do I create rules for an Assignment Group?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Stefanie - we were using the practice quizzes, but the instructor wanted to see at a glance in the gradebook how all 300 students did so he could measure if he needed to review in that days session.

I knew there was a way, but just couldn't quite get there. Putting it in a 0% assignment is exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks

Highlighted
Community Member

Practice quizzes work great! One caveat: They don't appear in the "to-do list," so the instructor needs to take extra steps to make sure students know about them, especially if the class is fully online. (Assuming your students are like mine and assume that if the "to-do" list is empty they have nothing else to do.)

For example, the practice quizzes could be mentioned in the reading assignments (which also don't show up on the to-do list) and in the descriptions for the "real" quizzes ("Take the practice quiz first! Online here!"). The instructor could send out a mail message or announcement. I'm sure there are other possibilities too.

Highlighted

Thanks Beth- that's an excellent point. I didn't realize that.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels