cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Prerequisites Issue

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am working with a professor who would like his students to finish the "Initial Survey" module (that has 1 ungraded survey), before being able to move onto "Week 1" module items. He set a Prerequisite on the Initial Survey module, but this doesn't seem to be working, and students can view the module items in the following module without looking at the survey. In addition, I added a requirement on the Initial Survey so that the Survey has to be "Marked Done" before moving on, but that didn't work either. 

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Joanna. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor II

Hi Kona,

My colleague and I were able to get it working by reordering the modules and then putting them back in their original place. I'm not sure why this worked, but it jogged something and the P and R are working correctly! 

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

joannal.lau@utoronto.ca , let me make sure I understand how your class is set up...

• Initial Survey Module
    • Initial Survey
  • Week 1 Module

What you would like to happen is for students to mark the initial survey as done before they can get into the Week 1 Module. If this is correct, then this is what you need to do.

Hope this information helps!

Kona

Hi Kona!

Thanks for your response! If you see the image I attached to the original post, you can see that I did add a Requirement onto the Initial Survey so that it needed to be marked as done, and a Prerequisite on Week 1 Module for the Initial Survey. Unfortunately, it still allowed me as a student to look into Week 1's contents. Any ideas as to why this might not be working the way we both think it should?

Best,

Joanna.

joannal.lau@utoronto.ca, are you using a test student account to test this? If so, then have you tried resetting the test student and then trying it again? Otherwise, I'd try changing the requirement for the Initial Survey to submit (instead of mark as done).

Kona

Hi Kona,

It is a student account that is separate from my own administrative account. I'm not exactly sure how to reset the test student - is there a specific way to do this? I've tried again with your submit suggestion, and it still didn't work as I could still click on the Test item in the Pre Module. I've attached an image so that you can see if I've done something wrong?302168_PrereqReqIssue.png

Many thanks!

This is really strange because it looks like you are setting up everything correctly. I use requirements & prerequisites a lot in my course and this looks right. 

The one last thing I'd try is using the test student. You can access the test student from your course home page and resetting the test student shows up at the bottom of the page when you start viewing the course as a test student. For more information on this see the following guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13122-415261153 

If this still doesn't work with your test student then I'd contact Canvas Support to see if they can look in your course and figure out what's wrong. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem

Kona

Hi Kona,

Thanks again. The student account is a completely separate account and has its own login, so it's not just my account with a student view, it's an actual student account. Unfortunately, I don't think I can reset that. 

I've also used P and R in a previous class and it worked! So, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong this time, but I don't think there is much room for error. I'm wondering if there is a bug? 

Anyhow, I will reach out to my Canvas Support team. Much appreciated, Kona.

All the best,

Joanna. 

Surveyor II

Hi Kona,

My colleague and I were able to get it working by reordering the modules and then putting them back in their original place. I'm not sure why this worked, but it jogged something and the P and R are working correctly! 

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

It is two years later and this is not working for us now.  It did more than a year ago, but now the Prerequisites are never enforced.  Did we have a backend change (api related maybe) that "broke" this feature

Community Member

I now have the exact same issue. The situation with my school is, we want to implement a "COVID Safe" module for the student to complete before they can get back to the campus. We tried to make it compulsory for the student by using the "requirement" and "prerequisites" within the module.

I set up in the 1st course and it was working as expected. Then I went to another course and did the same, but the other course didn't work for some reason. I double-checked all the settings and make sure everything is the same but still, it just doesn't work???

I also tried @joannal_lau advice to reordering the modules and then putting them back in their original place. Still, not working.

Later on, I tried to unpublish and republish all of these modules (Luckily I didn't put in any assignment within the module) Then it WORKED??? I have no idea how it gets fixed like this but it is a suggestion for anyone who's having the same issue.

What would be the reason for this?