cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CD6
Surveyor

Prevent students resubmitting after close date

Jump to solution

I'm guessing it's because I'm using external tool submissions, but my assignments are all closed and I'm still getting student resubmissions. Now I'm going and changing every single one to only 1 allowed attempt, which is a massive time suck and I have to do after the close date.  I want students the opportunity to resubmit work within a reasonable time frame so I don't want to limit this when creating the assignment.  I don't want to stop using external tool (even though it's woefully under supported and needs some basic functions like auto-mark missing), and I don't want to have to change the attempts after I've made the assignment. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

So it looks like it's Kami letting them resubmit.  I tried it out in the test environment and students can see *and work on* their kami assignments in their grades window, even if the actual assignment is closed.  If you go to grades, then look at submission details the full Kami availability is there, including the save/unsubmit/resubmit button.  I have to use kami in my course, and this "feature" does not make me happy.  I'm assuming if students can find the assignmnet in their google drive it behaves the same. 

Thanks @chofer for helping me figure out exactly what the problem is, I guess next step is figure out how to kick this way upstairs for someone to fix larger scale. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HienDN
Surveyor

That would be a nice function to have.  For now, I think we can set it to accessible up to a certain date, and that’ll prevent them from doing anything past that deadline.

That's the problem.  The assignments are closed, it's past the available until date, and I'm still getting resubmissions.  

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @CD6 ...

I reviewed the "View Availability Dates" section of this Guide, What is the difference between assignment due date... - Canvas Community, and it sounds like you are doing everything correct, and the assignment should prevent students from submitting work to you.  However, you said that students are re-submitting assignments to you beyond the date that you have set.  The Guide I linked to really doesn't indicate this (from what I can tell), but I wonder since Canvas already knows that students have submitted the assignment once already (assuming here within the availability date range you've defined for the assignment), it is not counting re-submissions by the same students.  What I mean is...maybe Canvas ignores the availability date for re-submissions?

It would be interesting to test this.  If you had a separate "sandbox" course, you could create an assignment in that course with availability dates (for example, make an assignment that has a five-minute window where submissions can be accepted).  Then, use the "test student" role to submit an assignment for the first time.  Then, try to re-submit the assignment again...insuring that your re-submission is outside of the "until" availability date.

If you don't have a "sandbox" course, another option for you is to use your school's Canvas "test" environment...which is a separate environment where you can do any kind of testing you want without disturbing anything in your school's normal "production" environment (the environment that you are normally used to signing in to on a day-to-day basis).  What is the Canvas test environment?  and How do I access the Canvas test environment as an instructor?  You could create an assignment in your course within the "test" environment just as I've described in the previous paragraph, and your students would never see it because you are in the "test" environment.  Just be sure that when you are done testing things out that you sign out of the "test" environment completely before returning to your school's normal "production" environment.

Your other option would be to reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk.  They might be able to tell you specifics about submissions vs. re-submissions of Canvas assignments.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? - Canvas Community

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this.  Let us know if your testing confirmed anything.  Take care...be well.

So it looks like it's Kami letting them resubmit.  I tried it out in the test environment and students can see *and work on* their kami assignments in their grades window, even if the actual assignment is closed.  If you go to grades, then look at submission details the full Kami availability is there, including the save/unsubmit/resubmit button.  I have to use kami in my course, and this "feature" does not make me happy.  I'm assuming if students can find the assignmnet in their google drive it behaves the same. 

Thanks @chofer for helping me figure out exactly what the problem is, I guess next step is figure out how to kick this way upstairs for someone to fix larger scale. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @CD6 ...

Thanks for the reply.  I am glad that you've been able to investigate this more to get things figured out on your end.  Full disclosure, I have no idea what Kami is.  I've never used it.  But, I did a search on the EduAppCenter website to see if it was a third-party app that can be integrated with Canvas, and I found this page:

Edu App Center: Kami

So, I assume this is what you are referring to.

Again, thanks for circling back to provide the update!  Take care...be well.

Oh that's interesting!  It's not behaving as it's supposed to.  I would definitely submit a ticket and see what Canvas support says.  I'm curious!