Highlighted
Community Member

Problem using media upload

I’ve been trying to use the media upload facility to add  MP3 and MP4 into pages on Canvas and keep getting media is currently being converted.

mp3 and mp4.png

The files have been processing all weekend and range in size from 30MB - 350 MB

This seems to be the case when trying to upload material (MP3/MP4) originally downloaded from our Panopto servers. MP3 / MP4  from other sources work fine.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Has anyone got any ideas how we overcome it?

Thanks

10 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

r.v.jones@bham.ac.uk​...

There is a similar topic already posted here where you might want to add to the discussion: Difficulties Uploading MP4 Videos

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks chofer@morainepark.edu​ hadn't spotted it.

Do we know why this is happening as it is causing problems for staff.

Highlighted
Navigator

Sorry...I do not know.  I've not really tried uploading MP3s or MP4s too much in Canvas.  I see you have posted your comments in the link that I gave you, so that's where you can continue the discussion if you want.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi chofer@morainepark.edu

It is causing us problem as c.t.coltman@bham.ac.uk​ has said below it appears that any upload we make of an MP3/MP4 from a source of Panopto doesn't work.

Yet colleagues who have contacted support have had the pages re-edited and then they work.

My concern is

1. the extra time required to request from canvas support to fix the problem.
  2. the inconsistancy of why some uploaded files work and others don't.
  3. the loss of confidence in Canvas for hosting mp3/mp4.

Thanks Rob

Highlighted
Navigator

Interesting and yet frustrating.  :smileyplain:  I've never used Panopto, so I don't know what the content of your MP3 audio files are, but have you ever tried using Audacity to record audio?  You can then export it as an MP3 file.  Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi chofer@morainepark.edu

this is not an option for us as our institutional lecture capture system is Panopto and we have invested considerable time and money in using this, hence the reason that it is so very frustrating for our users.

Highlighted
Navigator

ok.  I see you've posted a similar message over on the other thread, so hopefully someone is able to help you over there.  Thanks for the info, though.

Highlighted
Community Member

Robert Jones... in our College we have found this method of uploading MP3s or MP4s not to be successful. We have recently tried with downloaded Panopto files (MP3s and MP4s) through the media file upload and get the same message 'media is currently being converted'. The downloaded files from Panopto do not process through the file repository either.

Highlighted
Lamplighter

r.v.jones@bham.ac.uk, I have never used Panopto--but have you had a look at this? Adding Panopto and Recordings to Your Canvas Course | Panopto Support  From what I've read there, it looks like you can bypass the Canvas media upload tool altogether and instead create a new Panopto embed icon in the RCE via a Canvas-Panopto integration at the account level: Panopto and Canvas Configuration | Panopto Support