Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Progress Bar widget

Jump to solution

I'm running an asynchronous Canvas training course for faculty to take part in. They move through the module items (mostly content pages) using the next/back button.  The first 3-4 modules have quite a few pages/module items. One "student" wondered if there was a way for them to see their progress while on a content page without backing out to the module view. 

I know there isn't a way without an add-in, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success in adding or designing their own module progress bar widget. Something I could add at the bottom of each module item.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu‌,

You can also add a jQuery progress bar to a page. It isn't dynamic, so you will need to set the width on every page.

You can see some sample code on the Canvas Style Page: Canvas LMS  

Alex

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu, this is the only thing I've heard of related to what you are wanting - https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/11585 

Hope it helps!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks, kona@richland.edu! That opened my eyes to some issues presented by simply adding an image to each item. If I ever were to add items to the module it would be a lot of work to get it back in line. There's also the accessibility issue(s). Probably best to just wait for Canvas to add something. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu‌,

You can also add a jQuery progress bar to a page. It isn't dynamic, so you will need to set the width on every page.

You can see some sample code on the Canvas Style Page: Canvas LMS  

Alex

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, akauff1756@inst.hcpss.org! I'm very tempted to put that to use...then I worry about updating my modules...

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu‌...

I thought that I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since May 8th.  In reviewing the replies that you received, it seems as though those responses only meet some of your needs?  Would that be a correct interpretation?  If you feel that one of the above responses does answer your question, however, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  But if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this thread to post an update below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you with your question.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we haven't heard from you for almost two months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you, Kevin.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi all. I use to create my own progress bar using Photoshop. This meant I had to go through every single page and insert the corresponding progress and it took up a lot of time. 

Although I think students would really benefit from a progress bar, I've stopped doing this because they end up appearing as different sizes on quiz pages versus content pages versus discussion boards, etc (because these elements are all formatted quite differently). So, trying to cultivate any sense of uniformity was impossible and I felt like it undermined my effort. 

As a result, I've started compiling Task Lists for my students on the home page where every single assignment is outlined and linked in order (identical to the Modules). I encourage my students to print my Task List (I offer them a Word Document version of it) so that they can check off each item as they complete it. Every semester I receive rave reviews about my Task List because it really helps them know their progress and workload and helps them stay organized independently. 

I highly recommend trying out the Task List because students love it. 

That being said, I'd love to see a progress bar one day! 

Here is how my progress bar looked: 

340353_Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.09.58 PM.png

And here's how my Task List looks now: 

340354_Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.10.19 PM.png

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels